Topic: [Fixed - 3.60beta hotfix2] Disassembling deadfall trap results in extra rope  (Read 6424 times)

Teellox

« on: September 23, 2019, 09:55:36 AM »
What happens: When disassembling a small deadfall trap, 12ft of tying equipment (in my case, birch bark rope) is returned, even though only 3ft is used in its construction.

What I expect to happen: Disassembling a trap returns the same length of tying equipment as was used to create it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Make some birch bark rope
2. Build a small deadfall trap (Alt-R, 2)
3. Observe the recipe only calls for and uses 3ft of rope.
4. Disassemble the trap (Alt-R, D)
5. Observe your new piece of rope that's longer than 3ft!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:17:43 PM by Teellox »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 10:37:16 AM »
It can be noted that a standard length of tying equipment is 15 ft, the amount used was 3, and that 15 - 3 = 12, i.e. I'd investigate if the length of tying equipment was the length retained rather than the one removed.
An experiment would be to use the 12 ft rope (I'd use the original rather than the retrieved one to rule out any potential corruption transfer) to build a trap, verify that the rope remaining is 9 ft, dismantle the trap, and check the length of the recovered rope. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be 9 ft.
A third test would be to use a 3 ft rope and verify that building and retrieval worked correctly).

Edit: I went through with a test sequence:
- Built two small deadfall traps using a single pristine willow bark cord (a modded item, but I don't think that matters here), verifying the amount left was 12 and 9 ft, respectively.
- Disassembled both traps, and checking the length of the cord returned: 15 and 12 ft, respectively.
- Built two new traps (from the material used for the first trap pair, except for the cord. The material was used directly from the ground (shouldn't matter). Again, the length of the remaining piece of cord was as expected: 6 and 3 ft.
- Disassembled both traps. Length of cords returned: 9 and 6 ft.
- Built a last trap with the final piece of cord and disassembled it. The cord retrieved was 3 ft long, as it should be.

Thus, it seems the cord built into the trap is a copy of the one used as it looked when the recipe was initiated, rather than a 3 ft length cut from it, with the original then being shortened after the copying took place. I'd guess the copying of the original is done to ensure all the relevant properties (quality, type as a minimum) are carried over, but the step where the length of the cut piece is set has been omitted.

I don't know if the 3 ft piece of cord returned when disassembling the last trap in the sequence is that same object as the one used to build it, but that probably doesn't matter as items with exactly the same set of properties are completely interchangeable (and thus can be stacked), as long as any item destruction is handled properly.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:28:26 AM by PALU »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 11:32:26 AM »
Managed to reproduce and indeed it seem to tie the original rope to the trap construction, and still leave the shortened piece in inventory.

Hmm. Thinking of it, mechanics in cases like this are under construction in many ways.

Auto-cutting ropes to required length upon usage is handy, but the original idea seem to have been that the game uses the selected rope - regardless of its length - and if player would have wanted to use a handy, short piece they would have need to cut it to desired length beforehand.

It calls for a little micro-management, but we'll probably going to stick with the original idea and rid the auto-cutting.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

PALU

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
I'm in favor of the idea to use the whole cord even when longer than necessary. However, I'd also want a note/warning of the type "The cord is longer than necessary, and all of it will be used. You can abort the task and cut a piece of the required length for the task if desired before retrying".

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »
I'm in favor of the idea to use the whole cord even when longer than necessary. However, I'd also want a note/warning of the type "The cord is longer than necessary, and all of it will be used. You can abort the task and cut a piece of the required length for the task if desired before retrying".

Yep, warning/note would be probably good addition.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 01:51:35 PM »
This is fixed now. What was wonky is explained in more detail in this report:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5175.0

Fixed - persists in 3.60beta-hotfix2.

Teellox

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »
Oh wow, that was super-fast, and I'm absolutely loving the new release. Thank you muchly, Sami!

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 08:10:37 PM »
Oh wow, that was super-fast, and I'm absolutely loving the new release. Thank you muchly, Sami!

Thanks. It's extremely enjoyable release in my opinion too :)
Trying to get rid of the early glitches asap, so that I can continue with the remaining to-dos.

Hotfix-3 is out now, fixing all this tying equipment mess which required a quick patch in my books.

Privateer

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:17:51 PM »

Trying to get rid of the early glitches asap, so that I can continue with the remaining to-dos.

To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.