Topic: More realistic terrain generation?  (Read 2866 times)

Saukko

« on: August 21, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »
There's been something that's been bothering me about the terrain - the rivers are always very wide, and there are lots of lakes and ponds with no outlets and inlets. Ponds and lakes without inlets are relatively easy handwave away - they are fed by underwater springs - but lakes and ponds without outlets are less so (in Finland, the geology is not conductive to underground rivers, being mostly hard granite instead of limestone or other porous rock). I don't know how complex the terrain generation system is, but if it were possible to make it produce natural-like waterways  - lakes almost always having outlets that flow into another lake or streams that join another stream to form larger rivers - it would make the world more life-like. But then again, the waterways do not have any defined flow direction either, do they? Maybe it would be just too much and would require overhauling the entire generation system....

Ara D.

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »
Not that it's defined but I always assumed rivers flowed toward the sea. So southward in the kaumo and reemi areas and to North in the lands of the animal tribes.