Topic: Summer Sale, Summer opportunities  (Read 12119 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: June 29, 2019, 07:39:39 PM »
I'm a bit late to announce this but it is live now: Steam Summer Sale, and you can get UnReal World  for discounted price until 9th of July.

I want to bring this to your attention because it is likely that when next version is released the interval between Steam version and standalone (donation-based, free-of-charge) installers will be significantly longer. This is because the donation-based distribution has been receiving very marginal and insufficient support for years already, and I have to reason things out how to balance with the current distribution models. I'll be happy to answer possibly puzzled questions of relatively recent of near-future intending donors but that will have to await until next week - but don't hesitate to even e-mail if you feel like it.

Why this announcement is late then, is because while the sale was launching I was busy attending to 'science-art-forest' themed seminar and workshops at Koli in eastern Finland - a location famous of its hills and cliffs which are well-known national sceneries of Finland. 
In addition to presentation about working with the game I also performed an archery demonstration in the most awesome location I have ever shot a bow.
Summer is full of opportunities. Let's not hesitate. Cheers!

Archery demonstration, shooting with Japanese bow.

Giving a presentation about UnReal World and the related stuff..

The highest summit of Koli; "Ukko-Koli"
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Toolhead

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »
Snagged it on steam during the sale, big thanks for the years of entertainment :)

Saukko

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 09:55:13 AM »
I've played this game for a few months (again after so many years) - I just recently installed Steam on Linux to buy the Mount & Blade bundle, and while I was at it, I bought this game, too. Listening to the newly-released album by Heilung and playing Unreal World just feels... natural.

Evuul

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 07:40:07 PM »
Hi Sami,
How lifetimers subscription will be managed regarding this?

Thankyou,

Regards.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 11:52:37 PM »
I've played this game for a few months (again after so many years) - I just recently installed Steam on Linux to buy the Mount & Blade bundle, and while I was at it, I bought this game, too. Listening to the newly-released album by Heilung and playing Unreal World just feels... natural.
I love Mount & Blade!

koteko

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »

Unrelated, but.. how's M&B working for you on Linux? A memory leak plagued me and others for years, and had to start playing it on Windows, sadly.

Saukko

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 06:16:36 PM »
Unrelated, but.. how's M&B working for you on Linux? A memory leak plagued me and others for years, and had to start playing it on Windows, sadly.

Haven't noticed any problems so far. The basic M&B runs on Steam Play, which means it's a Windows binary, running on top of Steam's Proton emulation layer (sort of Valve's own WINE fork, I think) - M&B is one of the games it has been tested for, so it was just a matter of clicking Install in Steam to get it working just fine. I haven't installed Warband yet - that's a native SteamOS/Linux port, but I don't really expect much problems there either - it's an older, fairly high-profile game, so I'd expect I'd heard plenty of complaints by now if did't work.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 07:15:18 PM »
Hi Sami,
How lifetimers subscription will be managed regarding this?

Thankyou,

Regards.

Same as always; lifetimers for get everything ie. every version, on any platform or distribution channel, free of charge for ever (ie. lifetime of the game.)

koteko

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »
Haven't noticed any problems so far. The basic M&B runs on Steam Play, which means it's a Windows binary, running on top of Steam's Proton emulation layer (sort of Valve's own WINE fork, I think) - M&B is one of the games it has been tested for, so it was just a matter of clicking Install in Steam to get it working just fine. I haven't installed Warband yet - that's a native SteamOS/Linux port, but I don't really expect much problems there either - it's an older, fairly high-profile game, so I'd expect I'd heard plenty of complaints by now if did't work.

Ah, I assumed you meant Warband. I haven't bought basic M&B yet (kind of curios now..).
Warband did have a very annoying memory leak that obliged me to switch to Windows to play it. Happened only with heavy mods though, especially Viking Conquest.

flap

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
Very interresting event Sami  ;)

yobbo

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 08:25:58 AM »
Just a note on distribution: i actually bought the game on Steam in stead of donating because it was easier for me, but i still prefer to use the free version from the website. That's because the Steam version (on Linux at least) only works when you launch it via Steam. I actually had quite the annoyance when i tried to play URW on an airplane, and Steam refused to start (even in offline mode) because it couldn't connect to the internet. The version of the game downloaded via steam would not start on its own.

So as for donations drying up... perhaps like me other people simply purchase via steam in Stead of donating as they consider it equivalent?

JEB Davis

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 01:15:12 PM »
Just a note on distribution: i actually bought the game on Steam in stead of donating because it was easier for me, but i still prefer to use the free version from the website. That's because the Steam version (on Linux at least) only works when you launch it via Steam. I actually had quite the annoyance when i tried to play URW on an airplane, and Steam refused to start (even in offline mode) because it couldn't connect to the internet. The version of the game downloaded via steam would not start on its own.

So as for donations drying up... perhaps like me other people simply purchase via steam in Stead of donating as they consider it equivalent?

Thanks for posting this, yobbo, I've never used Steam and didn't realize it wouldn't even work without an internet connection after downloading. That's very limiting and not useful for me at all so I will stay with the normal version.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »

Hmm. All the Steam purchased versions should launch completely without Steam too. That's how we want it to be, there are no checks in game to Steam being active or not. 
You should be able to start Linux binary just like that from the game's folder.

yobbo

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 04:48:36 AM »
Hmm. All the Steam purchased versions should launch completely without Steam too. That's how we want it to be, there are no checks in game to Steam being active or not. 
You should be able to start Linux binary just like that from the game's folder.

I investigated a bit and there seems to be some funny way Steam is starting it, it definitely doesn't work when i try to run it outside of Steam. I'll make a new post about it in the bug reports forum.

anything