Topic: NPC hunters gone wild  (Read 10666 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: May 22, 2019, 05:11:50 PM »
I've had amusing and laborous times with testing and tweaking how NPCs now behave in the wild with their newly added wits for example to actively hunt and process the downed animals. New blocks of AI always make things a bit crazy at first as unimaginable and unpredictable conditions harness the power of new algorithms.

I've witnessed NPC hunter running after a squirrel swinging a sword, and exhausting himself by circling around the tree with no better understanding of the target being out of his reach. After awhile my character decided to help the guy out and shot the squirrel down for him, after which he correctly proceeded to butcher and skin the carcass. Without manners of saying a proper thanks, though.

Another NPC came (or was actually forced to by the means of black debug magic) hunting at the site where I had just lost one of my party members. After he had succesfully shot the hare he was after he proceeded to approach the corpse of my passed companion. My character and his dog watched in confusion this guy just stand on the corpse with no intention to move anywhere. Later on I found out that the crazy NPC hunter had an unbearable craving to skin and cut the corpse of my dead companion, but the moral restrictions came in between and he ended up in endless "Should I? No, you must not." limbo.

On a brighter side of incidents I traded a loop snare from a wandering woodsman for a fresh salmon. Soon after, the woodsman decided to light a fire and roast the salmon. A simple little thing but it made a nice difference.

All in all, NPCs in the wild seem a bit more intelligent, but also bit more crazy at the moment. Craziness is surely refreshing, but tweaking and testing still need to be continued.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 08:13:13 PM »
~snip~
 this guy just stand on the corpse with no intention to move anywhere. Later on I found out that the crazy NPC hunter had an unbearable craving to skin and cut the corpse of my dead companion, but the moral restrictions came in between and he ended up in endless "Should I? No, you must not." limbo.

Yeah, we've all been THERE!
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Ara D.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:15:27 PM »
Which brings up the question of stealing prey? How will a non party hunter react to me butchering his prey? Until Sami teaches them manners are they all going to be bird thiefs? On a side note that would be cool if one did steal and I could cast a spell some old man me to make them reveal themselves.

koteko

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 02:10:53 PM »
Brilliant  ;D

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »
Which brings up the question of stealing prey? How will a non party hunter react to me butchering his prey? Until Sami teaches them manners are they all going to be bird thiefs? On a side note that would be cool if one did steal and I could cast a spell some old man me to make them reveal themselves.

Currently they won't react at all to their preys getting stealed, and yes, they could also start butchering player characters prey.
Additions like this bring in many ifs and wild variables, and that flood of ideas as well.

Historically the downed prey was marked owned by cutting (a certain) piece of its carcass. Whoever did it first, the prey was his, even though he hadn't actually downed it.
This is because sometimes two people might have hunted for example the same elk for a long time, and whose arrow was the fatal in the end, couldn't be easily resolved.
So, whoever was the first to cut the carcass became its rightful owner. So maybe we'll apply this kind hunter ethics as well. If you get to cut NPC downed animal first, they give it to you, if you cut whats theirs they'll probably get angry. And vice versa.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 12:12:38 AM »
Sounds like a nice piece of ownership logic.

Jerm

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »
I've been playing Unreal World for a very long time through the standalone edition so I was just curious to ask will it continue receiving the updates such as if you decided to update hunters logic. Its a worthy investment if not but it would be very generous as I am on very tight funds currently. But I personally love the game. I've died from so many things and I've created many amazing profiles just to see them disappear in the blink of an eye over falling through ice, causing catastrophic damage to limbs from falling off cliffs, or getting killed by a wild arrow to the head from a companion, etc. I love the game and put numerous hours into my many adventures. Keep up the great work and Id love to hear back from you.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 10:49:05 AM »
I've been playing Unreal World for a very long time through the standalone edition so I was just curious to ask will it continue receiving the updates such as if you decided to update hunters logic. Its a worthy investment if not but it would be very generous as I am on very tight funds currently. But I personally love the game. I've died from so many things and I've created many amazing profiles just to see them disappear in the blink of an eye over falling through ice, causing catastrophic damage to limbs from falling off cliffs, or getting killed by a wild arrow to the head from a companion, etc. I love the game and put numerous hours into my many adventures. Keep up the great work and Id love to hear back from you.

Firstly, thanks for the compliments. Then, it's interesting you that you asked since during the past years I've found myself considering future of the (donation-based) free of charge version because donations have dried out pretty much completely. The original deal (since 2013) has been to keep free of charge version available for everyone if there's sufficient amount of support. But there really isn't, and the standalone version seems to be considered more "free" rather than "donation based". It used to be in fair balance for some years, but nowadays it's (unjustly) only a fistful of people handing out some support whereas there are loads of freeloaders.

So, I really have to consider things, and when there's consensus - or changes to current policy - it will be properly announced. It may be likely that the interval between paid version and free-of-charge version will be lengthened to greater extent, paid version comes way first and the free follows later on - so that the incentive for support is more concrete.

PALU

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 06:50:32 PM »
For a difference in access time between the free version and the paid version to make sense with regards to donation incentives, donating users ought to be treated on par with third party platform purchasers, at least when the donations are above some threshold (probably around when the developers get about the same amount). That can be achieved either by introducing a new tier between free and Lifetime Member, or by lowering the threshold for the latter, possibly discarding perks that aren't sustainable in the process.

It can be noted that the Lifetime Member category is in a somewhat uneasy position currently, because releases are supposed to be discussed in the members only section before they become available as freely downloaded, but as far as I know the third party platform purchasers aren't given access to that section, which means those who have payed for a license to use UrW and want to discuss the game in its own forum end up doing so in the open section.

Jerm

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 12:25:57 PM »
I just purchased this game on steam to show the support that it deserves. Keep up the good work

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 11:07:00 AM »
For a difference in access time between the free version and the paid version to make sense with regards to donation incentives, donating users ought to be treated on par with third party platform purchasers, at least when the donations are above some threshold (probably around when the developers get about the same amount). That can be achieved either by introducing a new tier between free and Lifetime Member, or by lowering the threshold for the latter, possibly discarding perks that aren't sustainable in the process.

Well, one major idea of going donation-based was to cut down office work, bookkeeping and all that hassle with different kind of licenses. Simply downloads and play - and support with as much as you feel fair, if you care to download and play. So I'd rather not return to adding extra hassle with different purchase levels or whatever - especially as I still regularly (almost weekly) receive inquiries about if 'it's possible to get a free Steam key since I bought version 3.15 (or something ancient) back in the day for $3 USD.  Less office work -> more coding.

It can be noted that the Lifetime Member category is in a somewhat uneasy position currently, because releases are supposed to be discussed in the members only section before they become available as freely downloaded, but as far as I know the third party platform purchasers aren't given access to that section, which means those who have payed for a license to use UrW and want to discuss the game in its own forum end up doing so in the open section.

Yes, it used to be more strictly that way when betas where more of true unofficial pre- (or test-) releases, but now it's changing and I guess for the past two years it's already been mostly stated that severe problems (which are practically mostly standalone installation failures) are best to be kept to lifetimer section, whereas regular discussion can be continued normally at public forums.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »
I just purchased this game on steam to show the support that it deserves. Keep up the good work

Mmkay. Doing my very best, with the power (and support) invested in me. :)