Topic: Primitive Technology and Quality of Life mod! (with BAC compatibility)  (Read 12951 times)

Iago.Hach

« on: April 27, 2019, 10:05:06 PM »
Hi folks!

Welcome to Primitive Technology and Quality of Life mod!

This mod is a combo of new and old mods + some personal tweaks that I use most of the time.
I thought of sharing, if these combos make the game more pleasant to me, it could make it better for others too =)

Special Thanks!
Buoidda, Brygun, Endive, Privateer and Rain for most of the items in the list!
Simon for the great Shaman Mod (I'm planning to add more of it should someone have the old files, I would be happy to update it)
Brygun again for uniting the mods in the BAC project
And the Community as a whole for helping on lots of ways :D

The main changes of this mod are aimed to make the Primitive Technology experience a little better
(at least I hope so)

Most crafting recipes are easier to make, but to balance this most prices were adjusted,
Most prices in original mods were using the value of that reader program (can't remember the name),
but the prices in the code are in squirrel hides, so an arrow with value like 7 or 8 is now value 1.
Don't know if this would change in the future...

Sorry if bad english as it's not my native language, I hope most of it is alright.

Main changes:

- Make kota out of Thatch cover;
- Now is possible to cook fish parts and smoke inside kotas! (this was a common demand in the community);
- Now it's possible to use seasoning in roasted meats, so it lasts longer!;
- Some Shaman Mod recipes are back! On mine and more menu;
- Lots of *COMMON* skill tags changed to make skill levels more relevant;
- Lots of Stone Age weapons and recipes using bones and stones;
- Make bellows out of clay (as in Primitive Technology's channel);
- Most items that require axes now can be made with other cutting material and stone tools;
- Reduced lots of items time requirements;
- Changed lots of items weights;
- Make herbs bandages, so no more wasting good cloth for that! (just make sure to clean the herbs);
- Simple Exercises! Inspired by Privateer and wolfman00 mods;
- And a few things more!

If someone could help me to make the thatchcover image readable in the game, I would thank you so much!
Somehow I could not make it work =/

Here's the Primitive Technology challenge!
This was a challenge back in the old forums, can't remember the name though...

Start as Hurt, Helpless and Afraid;
No Kaumo/Owl-tribe culture;
No living in the wild game course, or if you choose this, you need to destroy all given items;
"Sacrifice" your first knife!

All items used must be harvested in nature or "Do it Yourself"
You can trade food or furs for food only!

After you make your first iron tools or cloth you can trade freely! Congratz! You have won the challenge! :D

Good Luck! And Have Fun! :D

Edit: Corrected the .Split boards. recipe!
Edit 2: Corrected more recipes and fixed some errors =)

*** UPDATED TO 3.62 AND 3.63 VERSIONS OF THE GAME***
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 09:35:51 PM by Iago.Hach »

Brygun

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
Glad to see more modding for Unreal going on.

*waves the hand of blessing*

>>>>

Question:
Are you building this in the 3 available first menu slots left in the BAC or would someone need to merge code between them?

Plotinus

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:48:28 AM »
Hi, I tried out the "without bac" versions.
Almost no one. It was and still is designed with exclusively my personal needs in mind. Please try out the stock BAC mod out before this one. The stock mod is fantastic. If you want to use my version I recommend reading through the changes I have made which can be found in the README_CHANGES.txt file. If these changes suit you, feel free to install and use the mod. To be clear this mod is not meant to compete with or replace the BAC mod in any way. The purpose of this mod is to cater to a very niche audience of myself and (perhaps) a few others.

Support:
All questions regarding mod mechanics and bugs should be directed towards Brygun, I did not write the BAC mod and am not intimately familiar with it's workings. Furthermore, all of the READMEs that come stock with the BAC mod are included for convenience in the "legacy BAC mod docs" folder.

Install Instructions:
Install information can be found in the included README.txt file.

Changelog:
v1.0 (BAC v047) - initial version
v1.1 (BAC v050) - updated to new BAC files, slightly tweaked some recipes, and removed some others, updated

The [noquality] tag on the finished item means you will never get poor or inferior items, no matter how bad your skills or your tools, it will always be decent. it is true you won't go superior or fine quality items either but need to have very good tools and very good skills to get superior or fine anyway, so [noquality] will usually improve things.

similarly, adding [noquality] to an ingredient means that even if the item is of poor quality or inferior quality, the game will disregard it and not count it towards the final quality of the recipe -- this is useful if you want to make fine or superior items out of ingredients that never have variation in quality (tree trunks, slender tree trunks, branches, spruce twigs), but if you want to make crude or primitive items, or if the ingredient can be of poor quality because it's something else you made, then adding [noquality] isn't a good idea.

There is also a bug of some kind in the lumber menu: there are two items both named split boards, so the game ignores the second one. the first one calls for {split trunk} as an ingredient, but there is no recipe to make {split trunk} so it fails.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:00:06 PM by Plotinus »

Iago.Hach

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
Glad to see more modding for Unreal going on.

*waves the hand of blessing*

>>>>

Question:
Are you building this in the 3 available first menu slots left in the BAC or would someone need to merge code between them?

Hi! Thanks  ;D

They are merged on top of the BAC mod, some recipes are changed. The bone spear for example is changed to bone javelin.
No new menus are being used. =)

Iago.Hach

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 07:23:11 PM »
Hi, I tried out the "without bac" versions.
Almost no one. It was and still is designed with exclusively my personal needs in mind. Please try out the stock BAC mod out before this one. The stock mod is fantastic. If you want to use my version I recommend reading through the changes I have made which can be found in the README_CHANGES.txt file. If these changes suit you, feel free to install and use the mod. To be clear this mod is not meant to compete with or replace the BAC mod in any way. The purpose of this mod is to cater to a very niche audience of myself and (perhaps) a few others.

Support:
All questions regarding mod mechanics and bugs should be directed towards Brygun, I did not write the BAC mod and am not intimately familiar with it's workings. Furthermore, all of the READMEs that come stock with the BAC mod are included for convenience in the "legacy BAC mod docs" folder.

Install Instructions:
Install information can be found in the included README.txt file.

Changelog:
v1.0 (BAC v047) - initial version
v1.1 (BAC v050) - updated to new BAC files, slightly tweaked some recipes, and removed some others, updated

The [noquality] tag on the finished item means you will never get poor or inferior items, no matter how bad your skills or your tools, it will always be decent. it is true you won't go superior or fine quality items either but need to have very good tools and very good skills to get superior or fine anyway, so [noquality] will usually improve things.

similarly, adding [noquality] to an ingredient means that even if the item is of poor quality or inferior quality, the game will disregard it and not count it towards the final quality of the recipe -- this is useful if you want to make fine or superior items out of ingredients that never have variation in quality (tree trunks, slender tree trunks, branches, spruce twigs), but if you want to make crude or primitive items, or if the ingredient can be of poor quality because it's something else you made, then adding [noquality] isn't a good idea.

There is also a bug of some kind in the lumber menu: there are two items both named split boards, so the game ignores the second one. the first one calls for {split trunk} as an ingredient, but there is no recipe to make {split trunk} so it fails.

I will try this mod you talked about. I've never shared a "full" mod, I thought that most of the homemade changes I've made for my game could be of some use for the community. Haven't tried many other mods so I don't know if some of the changes I've made were already created in other mods :/
I will give it a try!  ;)

Corrected the .Split boards. now, the first one was another code I've left without noticing...

Thanks for the advice! ;D

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
Hi! Oh I'm really sorry, I seem to have accidentally copy pasted part of your readme file into my comment. I don't know how that happened, but I've edited it to cross out that part. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for sharing your changes to BAC, and I hope you'll keep modding.  I like that you removed a lot of the *COMMON* tags and that you used some shaman mod stuff.

Iago.Hach

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 10:25:11 PM »
*** UPDATED TO 3.62 AND 3.63 VERSIONS OF THE GAME***

I've tried my best to verify it all, at least it works in my games.
So, if you guys have any problems, bugs or suggestions, please reply here, so I can make it better!

EDIT: Fixed Kota cover and stone/rock searching, those weren't working correctly... Sorry for that!

Cheers!  8)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 09:38:32 PM by Iago.Hach »

Coidzor

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 07:03:26 AM »
I've poked around in the files and I haven't yet been able to quite tell the difference between the With BAC and Without BAC versions. 

Can someone give me the quick and dirty version?

anything