Topic: Wits for wandering NPCs and companions - the future version focus  (Read 8360 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: April 21, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
Things have been cooking and development has evolved up to such an extent where a sneak peek of what to expect in the future is in place. We don't have a deadline for the upcoming release, it's a work in progress, but we do know what the core content will be about.

The core content of the next release will focus on NPCs. The most important additions will concern the wandering woodsmen you may meet in the wild and the companions you can hire for yourself. They'll be given a bit more wits, tasks, and meaning for their existence in the game world as follows.

Actively hunting wandering NPCs

NPCs who roam the woods can now actively hunt animals. They seek the game based on their cultural preferences, and within their hunting possibilities. The very act of NPCs hunting, or running after a game, is probably rarely witnessed by the player character but bones and remains found in the woods can now tell a story of another human hunter at the area.
   As we know, the hunts can end in unimaginable ways, so many different scenarios may arise from the NPCs now taking their chances with the wildlife - and occasionally maybe even the very same wildlife that you were after.

Witnessing an NPC hunting scene. Seal-tribe woodsman has been met in the wild, and he's busy trying to shoot down a squirrel.

New companions commands

Companion usefulness gets boosted with some new tasks they will be able to do on demand. Currently it's been added:

* butcher and skin a carcass
* make logs
* make boards

...and the list is likely to grow with a few more crucial tasks. There's a great level of complexity to make companions proceed these tasks with similar detail than the player character so tasks to be added are prioritized with the quality over quantity.

The list of companion commands so far:

As companion skills naturally affect to outcome of the tasks their expertise can be sometimes used to obtain higher quality goods than what the player characters could produce by themselves. We also need to add an chat option to ask NPCs about their general skills and expertise so you know what kind of craftsman you've hired.

The companion was commanded to butcher and skin one of the reindeers we managed to hunt down. We got meat now, and a fine reindeer skin, which is way better hideworking result than what Jurks could have done in his current condition.

Exciting times ahead.
The work continues, more is to follow.

These are future additions - not yet functional in current version 3.52.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:39:23 PM by Sami »
- Sami | UnReal World creator

JEB Davis

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 02:07:33 PM »
This looks great, Sami!  I certainly like to see the emphasis on quality over quantity for the new features too.

Has your shoulder healed to the point of using your arm normally now?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 02:28:34 PM »
This looks great, Sami!  I certainly like to see the emphasis on quality over quantity for the new features too.

Has your shoulder healed to the point of using your arm normally now?

See for yourself: :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KBvCCMHO0A

Fortunately it's healed very good. They say it takes a full year to see the final outcome, but I can use it pretty much normally already.
Few restrictions and lack of strength remain, but there's 7 months left to workout until the year of recovery is up.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Mati256

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 04:08:54 PM »
That's great! Both the news about your arm and about UrW.
I really like where the developing is going right now!

PALU

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 06:52:22 PM »
I agree with Mati256. If you're aiming for a family eventually, this ought to provide some foundation building blocks. If not, this is a worthwhile addition in itself.

Ara D.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »
Oh yes oh yes. Hunting is my favorite task, and a companion who can skin will be so helpful in processing reindeer herds

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 12:17:45 AM »
Very cool!!

anything