Topic: [solved, system specific issue] Game crashes extremely frequently  (Read 4863 times)

« on: September 17, 2018, 12:26:54 AM »
I don’t know if it’s my computer or if it’s the game, or if there are compatibility issues, but it crashes a minimum of once every 5 minutes. My computer is an HP laptop with Windows 10. The crashes occur when zooming out to travel map, sleeping, saving the game, or when traveling between maps in the zoomed in local area map. When doing any of these things, the crashes occur between 40% and 60% of the time
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:46:51 PM by Sami »

JEB Davis

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 02:51:58 AM »
I've never had the game crash in many years. It could be anti-virus or other software running in background, or possibly a graphics card issue?

Is the game the only software that crashes on your computer?

Have you tried changing game settings in-game?

How about editing urw_ini.txt and changing more of the options?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:54:51 AM by JEB Davis »

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 03:55:05 AM »
You know, it is very possible it may be an antivirus/other program causing this issue, I never thought of that and I’ll have to look into it. But no this isn’t the only program I had this problem with. Dwarf fortress would crash on me also but only in adventure mode and only when using advfort (not a “canonical” game feature) but this game has been crashing much more than dwarf fortress. Thankfully the auto save saves almost religiously and I don’t often lose much game progress but I wish it didn’t crash so much nonetheless. I’ll look into the antivirus theory and let you know what happens :)

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 04:16:56 AM »
Well I deleted my anti malware (that I never downloaded or really wanted anyway) and so far no crashes and the game runs faster even, it hasn’t been long enough to say definitively tho if it worked or not. If you don’t hear back from me within 24 hours consider the matter resolved and thank you for provoking me into thought about it being another program causing the crashes. You have been extremely helpful :D