Topic: Hey Sami, everyone- UnReal World got noticed by Guru Larry!  (Read 15224 times)

Amariithynar

« on: May 21, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
Figured I'd share this with everyone since it was so awesome to see it get mentioned by someone who's been in the business for decades, and recognizing your hard work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1n2OBm6hIc Though, he does say that URW has been in "development hell", that much at least I don't agree with. :P

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
Ooh, that's quite cool! Thanks for sharing.
And it's been more like a heaven than hell :D
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Brygun

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »
Time to call Guinness and challenge for their next publication.  ;)

Erkka

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 11:10:52 PM »
Time to call Guinness and challenge for their next publication.

Actually, I think the Guinness World Record team got it correct, and it is Larry who, after all, is a bit confused with facts  :)

Following Larry's logic, UnReal World development time was about 18 monts - Sami started developing some time at 1990, and the first playable version was released around may 1992. The first version was released as share-ware, and according to the standards of those times, it counts as 'a public release'.

Since 1992 UnReal World has been receiving a continuous stream of updates - which is different from the 'development hell' Larry describes with those other games. Also, thas is why UnReal World can't hold a Guinnes World Record for longest development time.

Instead, UnReal World has the official Guinnes World Record for longest update support.

So, no need to call Guinness to challenge their nominations.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:28:08 PM by Erkka »
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo