Topic: How do I Mod?  (Read 9755 times)

Ara D.

« on: August 29, 2018, 04:58:18 PM »
I am not tech savy. How do I download and install a mod. Please bear in mind that I will need a lots of explanation. I know nothing about mod and codes

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »
Hopefully you are running some flavor of Windows;
Here is a link to a tutorial I made some time back.
I tried to make it easy to read (short) and easy to follow (Modding 101)
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/urwforum/urw-crafting-demystified-t6256.html
This tries to simply lay out how to make and use mods and how they work.

To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Ara D.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »
Thanks for the link. I only glanced at because I'm currently at work. But it looked to be how to mod, I didn't make my self clear I'm not interested in creating a new mod, but I want to be able to add others existing mods. Is there a simple way to "plug and play?"

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »
Sorry for my mistake.
Install a mod > copy the files into the unrealworld directory.

Generally that's all there is to it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:18:33 PM by Privateer »
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 09:18:47 AM »
Sorry for my mistake.
Install a mod > copy the files into the unrealworld directory.

Generally that's all there is to it.

Well, any decently made mod should have installation instructions. Look for those and follow what they say.

Many mods just add stuff, but if there are graphics associated the go into the appropriate sub directories. Also, in some cases mods replace files, in which case you may want to back the originals up, e.g. by changing their names to start with e.g.XXX (changing the suffix does NOT work...). Also, mods can clash if you use multiple mods in that they can use the same letters for their menus, and you generally will have to sort those things out yourself by reassigning some letters to unused ones (which obviously requires a basic knowledge of how mods work).

Ara D.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:13:29 PM »
so I tried caethan sufficiency mod from Git hub and Im just not getting it I tried downloading the zip then telling to it open, I tried telling it to save, my computer runs a scan and then poof nothing the scan window disappears and I have no instruction and what next. im sure im missing something simple. I can not overstate how computer ignorant I am, I can turn it on and off use the mouse surf the web that's about it, if it is more complicated than that I most likely don't know it so please explain it to me like your grandparents because we probably have similar computing abilities, except grandmas better at social media. oh im a windows user on a new laptop.

@Privateer where is the directory i looked thourgh the files in my UrW folder I did not see one labeled Directory

Privateer

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 11:05:30 PM »
@Privateer where isthe directory i looked thourgh the files in my UrW folder I did not see one labeled Directory

The directory I was referring to is the URW folder.
If you downloaded the file it will be in the downloads folder.
If you run the .zip file it should open with the progams assigned to open .ZIP files.
CTRL + a generally selects all "items", in this case the files you are looking at inside the .zip file.

Either open a new window showing the URW folder and drag the files from the zip to the URW folder
OR
Find the save menu in the .zip file viewer and save the files to the URW folder.

Not sure if that helps, without knowing the operating system or what application is opening the .zip file.
Mods:

caethan

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »
> Well, any decently made mod should have installation instructions. Look for those and follow what they say.

*looks shadily from side to side*  Right!  Of course decently made mods have installation instructions!  Let me just... check on mine.

Here's what mine (now) says in the README:

The first step to installing the mod is to find where Unreal World is installed on your computer.
If you've installed it manually from the developer's website, just remember where you put it.
If you're running it from Steam:
* Open up the game properties by right-clicking on the game from the Steam interface and selecting "Properties".
* Switch to the "Local Files" tab.
* Click on "Browse Local Files".  This will open up a window in Finder (for Macs) or Explorer (for Windows) at the root of the installation.
* For Macs:
    - There will be an icon with the label "UrW.app".  Right-click on it and select "Show Package Contents". This will open up another folder.
    - Open the "Contents" folder, then the "Resources" folder.
    - This final Resources folder is where mod files should go.
* For Windows:
    - TBD
* Copy over all the *.txt files in the mod download to the Unreal World folder.  Some of them will copy over the original files provided with the game.
You may want to make a backup of the original files to remove the mod in the future.
* Copy over the GAME.NFO file.  This updates the encyclopedia with the new modded items.
* There are two subfolders in both the Unreal World folder and the mod folder:
    - "truegfx":  pictures used in the encyclopedia and for various other purposes
    - "truetile": sprites for items and creatures in the game
* Copy over the contents of each of these folders in the mod into the Unreal World folders.
You shouldn't be copying over any existing files here.
* Start up the game and enjoy the new options!

PALU

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
Better late than never ;)

I'd move the text about making backups to before the copying step, as it's not uncommon to follow instructions one step at a time without reading them through first. Also, given the quirkiness of UrW, I'd mention some backup methods (copy elsewhere, or prefix the file names with something that isn't used), as adding a different suffix doesn't work (I've tried...).

The instruction also says you shouldn't copy over any of the truexx folder files, but it would be useful with an indication of what to do if there is a question about writing over a file (as I suspect there isn't expected to be a clash). Mr Newbie won't know...