Topic: How about Scurvy?  (Read 7346 times)

Maisling

« on: August 12, 2018, 10:17:28 PM »
Might be an interesting addition the survival element if you can catch scurvy or even other deficiencies from not eating any fruits or vegetation for a month or two. As it stands IMO there's not much motivation to gather veg and berries if you have plenty of meat.

Idanvegh

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »
Health,Dieases and well-being need to be more fleshed out in general.

shorun

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 02:37:17 AM »
yes, but only if dogs can get it to.

"y'arr, the scurvy dog"

caethan

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 06:13:24 PM »
Dogs don't get scurvy; they make their own vitamin C.  It's only higher primates and guinea pigs that can't.

shorun

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 07:59:28 PM »
then i'm not intrested

tarakalak

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 12:33:59 PM »
I think that this one is interesting idea.

You can also eat a small amount of raw meat to get vitamin C. That is how the eskimo and other people that had no access to fruits and vegetables cured it.

Helldiver

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 01:16:32 PM »
As I understand it, the eating of raw flesh wasn't a practice among the peoples of Finland, the way it has been with some peoples of Siberia or the Arctic Americas. However, we know the Sami at least were aware of the problems posed by scurvy, and had various foods they would eat to stave it off, especially during the dark winter months. Such foods would have included pine bark flour, birch sap, various plants (such as sow thistle and sorrel) boiled with the milk of reindeer to produce a cheese-like food called gompa. The roots of angelica and Cicerbita alpina were dried and chewed on throughout the year, as much for their flavor and for amusement as for their nutritional / medicinal properties.

There's more written here:

https://uu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:565327/FULLTEXT01.pdf

Berries too were preserved, mostly by submerging in water to make something akin to vattlingon which is still consumed today (I have also heard of preservation in reindeer fat instead of water). For preserving in water, any combination of berries could be used, but you would at least need to include either lingonberries or cloudberries or both in the mixture: they are the berries that contain the highest amounts of oxalic acid, and that would be the agent mostly responsible for making sure the berries do not rot in the water.

Currently, we do not have mechanisms in the game to preserve berries or plants or whatever. My personal opinion is that it would be a little unfair to add a disease (which would have been well-known and preventable even in those times) to the game without giving the player a chance to do something about it. Not to say I wouldn't welcome it as a possible addition to the game, merely that the decision whether and how to develop it is not something that's up to me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:18:10 PM by Helldiver »

werepacman

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 01:37:44 PM »
This Idea is realistic but doesn't add anything to gameplay, like it would do new rituals enemies or their behavior . Just additional micromanagement with food.

tedomedo

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »
We have cooking recipe with raw lumb meat and many spices. This is on of the greatest meat deserts. And most expensive too. It's called "steak tartare". I just want to say... (well, write) that eating very fresh raw meat in combination with vegetables and spices in not poison at all.

Aramis

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »
You can just boil pine needle tea: you get C++ !