Topic: Forum crash  (Read 5014 times)

Erkka

« on: July 13, 2018, 02:49:59 PM »
Seems like we have had a forum crash. I'm not aware of the reasons behind it, but luckily we are on-line again. I had to manually run some database recovery procedures, and seems like everything is back to normal, only that for most of the boards the "last post" column is empty on the index page. I hope it will get fixed by itself as the discussion resumes and new posts appear.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:39:29 PM »
a bot had posted to all accessible sub forums sometime yesterday before it crashed.
I had replied to one question, the question came back. The reply was lost.
The spam titles were all in foreign language.

Just fyi
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:38:56 PM »
Glad that you managed to get us back, Erkka. I also noticed the forum crash during the day, and now came to start working on recovery, but you already had done your magic.

This was an unpleasant discovery, to see forums fail like this, although web search results prove it's not a rare thing to happen.
Maybe spam bots did contribute to the issue to occur, as they aren't a rare thing either.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Erkka

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »
I still think it might have been a techical problem somewhere in systems of the webhosting company, for in the morning the entire database connection was unavailable. That came back by itself after a few hours, so I assumed the tech guys at webhosting did what they could. After that a few database tables were corrupt, and I ran the database system's internal repair command on them.

So, yeah, it might or might not be related to spam bot activity. In any case, I don't know if we could do more to prevent spam accounts from registering without making it too unconvenient for real users to register. I think at the moment we have it so that each new user has to answer two custom questions - I have no idea how the bots bypass that, as I'd guess that even with a brute force attack getting two random words correct might not happen so often.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Privateer

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:26:16 PM »
I have noticed, though I don't think it would be a valid disqualifier, most of the spam accounts I've witnessed here fill out all the contact information ie: aim address, ICQ address, etc.. etc.. etc.

BTW Thanks for getting it back up and running ;)
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

anything