Topic: [3.70] URW sufficiency mod  (Read 84003 times)

caethan

« on: July 16, 2017, 11:26:49 PM »
Hi all, I've been working on a new sufficiency mod to add some helpful recipes for living in the wilds.  It's available on github at https://github.com/caethan/urw-sufficiency - just click the green "clone or download" button and download as a zip file.  It does write over some existing files (the encyclopedia and diy_glossary.txt) so it may not be compatible with all other mods.

A detailed description can be seen at the link, but it adds some basic ironworking and stone mining, adds a low-quality primitive cord recipe, new birch-bark crafting recipes, well-digging and road-building, some new simple recipes (drying berries/mushrooms, rendering fat, and baking hard biscuits).  There's some other stuff planned --- in particular spinning & weaving.  The new flax plant is in and available for planting, but nothing can be done with it other than eating its very nutritious seeds.

Feedback is appreciated; there's a list of issues there for things that I'd like to do in the future.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:26:25 AM by caethan »

koteko

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
@caethan cool that you introduced flax! I can see why it wasn't included in the original game together with nettle and hemp: its nutrition is crazy high :P

How accurate are the other values you chose for it?

caethan

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »
Wild guesses, mostly!  I pulled the nutrition values from Wikipedia for flaxseed, which really is very nutritious.  I should probably bump down the size/amount of seeds produced just to prevent it from being overpowered.  At some point I plan to introduce linen-making from flax, but that may be a ways off.

Kerlysis

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 06:25:04 AM »
really liking this. running into a few smithing problems, tho, with an item popping out improperly tagged/misnamed for further steps in crafting(shovel head/blade), and items requiring stuff that can only be crafted with materials you need the item to craft. so far nothing that couldn't be fixed by a few moments altering the text files.

do you like suggestions or nah? i know people either love em or hate em, and it's your time

caethan

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
Please do with suggestions, especially if you've had to make some fixes to things.  Haven't done a whole lot of playtesting of the smithing.

Kerlysis

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 03:54:12 AM »
 Haven't done all the smithing myself, just made 3 things. I'm hesitant to call out too much stuff as bugs/balance issues b/c i am playing w multiple iron mods and yours is not the dominant/overriding one (no idea how to adjust that, short of straight up deleting all overlap)

Pretty sure these two are your mod, tho: Wrought iron requires tongs to make, tongs require wrought iron to make. The shovel crafting line dead ended between sharpening and final shovel making because of a naming consistency problem (head vs blade).

In any case, I just discovered the well. :O game changing!

caethan

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 08:02:08 AM »
Tongs should be [optional] for wrought iron --- hit escape while making it, and you should be able to keep going without them.

Fixed the shovelblade inconsistency.  Thanks for pointing it out!

The well is great fun, especially if you're setting up in a cave without water nearby.  I like building roads around my settlement too, there's some extra mining options to mine stones from big rocks and crush stones into rocks to make it easier to build roads than just hunting up and down mountains for rocks and stones.

Kerlysis

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »
Ah, that reminds me, the crush option makes "mine for stone" which becomes "crush stones" for me, not rocks. :P really cramping my road and arrow building style

I envied the crap outta the settlement puddles, now i can make my own w/o murdering some wealthy hermit

caethan

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »
Whoops, yep, NAME wasn't capitalized when I was setting the names for those.  You should still be able to use them for building even though their names are wonky since they inherit from the correct base items.  Should be fixed now, though.

Kerlysis

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 04:46:56 AM »
:) no more rock hunting for me

hey, have you ever thought of/ever seen anyone do any sort of grindstone or mortar and pestle? seems weird that farmers just use random stones to make flour.

Kerlysis

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »
also, is the -80% intentional for the charcoal crafting? seems basically impossible to get non low quality charcoal that way

koteko

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
Might probably make sense to make charcoal noquality?

koteko

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »
Charcoal-making doesn't consume the three staves, they need remove and noquality:

Code: [Select]
.Charcoal. (25) "Firewood" [effort:3] [phys:arms,hands,stance] *TIMBERCRAFT* %-80% /2h/ \5d\ |-1| [patch:10]
{Staff} (3) [remove] [noquality] '+for a chimney'
{Firewood} (50) [remove] [noquality] [ground] [patchwise]
{[TILE:Hole in the Ground]} 'Dig a hole for the burn'
{Shovel} <Shovel> '+to bury the wood'
{Fire}
[WEIGHT:1]
[TILEGFX:it-coallump]

caethan

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 01:51:23 AM »
The charcoal stuff (-80%, quality relevant) was intentional, although I'll hear arguments against it.  The goal was to make it easy to make low-quality tools and quite hard to make high-quality tools.  To do so, you have to have good timbercraft and carpentry skills, and burn a lot of charcoal/smelt a lot of iron.  First pass through the whole thing, I had no trouble making decent quality tools with a reasonably tuned character my first winter.  It takes a lot more work and skill training to be able to make mastercraft tools, which I like.

Same deal with the staffs:  I left out [noquality] because I modded staffs so that you can make high quality ones, and I figured that the chimney staffs wouldn't be consumed during the charcoal burn. 

Kerlysis

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 04:06:38 AM »
Maybe turning down the difficulty a tad. It would be one thing if mastercrafts were easier, but it is perfectly possible to craft the same item several times even at 90+ skill and have it fail at some point in the chain and be decent or fine instead. The charcoal becomes a really harsh bottle neck- ended up trading the failures for masterworks more than crafting myself. Imo, if the current labor amount is your target switch the bottleneck to something that doesn't make me piss off the spirits w mass deforestation.

^lotta words for something that isn't even a bug  ;D

anything