Topic: Modification to Rain's Cloth mod to get wool from sheep skin  (Read 4798 times)

koteko

« on: February 18, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »
There is (at least?) a "shearing sheep" mod out there, but it's a hack. You cannot force the user to have an actual sheep nearby, so you can produce infinite wool.

I wanted something a bit more balanced, and I think this is it: you must kill a sheep/ram and skin it. The raw hide (not even cleaned!) can then be used to extract the raw wool fibre. At that, the great Rain's Cloth has everything you need: spindle and distaff to spin yarn from fibre (like nettle or hemp), loom to actually weave cloth and recipes to make any available woollen cloth in the game.

In particular, I differentiate between winter and summer skins (the former yields more fibre):

.Fibre from Sheep skin. "Hunting horn" [noquality] *HIDEWORKING* /1h/ [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance]
{Sheep-skin} [remove] [ground] [name:Fibre from wool] 'Skin of a sheep or ram'
{Club} '+for scutching'
{Knife}<Broad Knife>
[TILEGFX:rc-fibre]
[TYPE:tool]
[WEIGHT:2.5]

.Fibre from Winter Sheep skin. "Hunting horn" [noquality] *HIDEWORKING* /1h/ [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance]
{Winter sheep-skin} [remove] [ground] [name:Fibre from wool] 'Winter skin of a sheep or ram'
{Club} '+for scutching'
{Knife}<Broad Knife>
[TILEGFX:rc-fibre]
[TYPE:tool]
[WEIGHT:3.5]

The only difference between the two is the weight of the output "Fibre from wool" item. The weights I chose were a bit arbitrary (maybe a bit high?), but in both cases are smaller than the total weight of the skin.

Spinning just works with Rain's cloth recipe like for nettle and hemp (anything with name, "Fibre from ..."). The summer pelt yields 5 fibres, the winter one yields 7 fibres.

So here's weaving:

.Weave Woollen Cloth. "Bandage" /3h/ *AGRICULTURE* %25% [effort:2] [phys:arms,hands,stance]
{Wool Yarn}           (5) [remove] [name:Woollen Cloth]
{Loom}
[WEIGHT:2.5]
[MATERIAL:cloth]
[PRICE:3.5]
[TILEGFX:rc-cloth]

.Weave big Woollen Cloth. "Bandage" /5h/ *AGRICULTURE* %25% [effort:2] [phys:arms,hands,stance]
{Wool Yarn}           (7) [remove] [name:Woollen Cloth]
{Loom}
[WEIGHT:3.5]
[MATERIAL:cloth]
[PRICE:4.9]
[TILEGFX:rc-cloth]

Now go buy some sheep, milk it in the summer and kill it just before winter (when drying the meat, too - no waste). Plenty of time can be spent weaving cloth during winter.

Finally I have some woolen clothes I feel like I worked for :D