Topic: [Fixed - persists in 3.50b2] Frequent Map Maintenance  (Read 10385 times)

Leonidas

« on: February 11, 2018, 03:45:31 AM »
I have map maintenance nearly every time I zoom in from the world map. Just now when I started the game and loaded the file, 1) I had to do map maintenance immediately, before it would even display the village I was in, then 2) again on zooming out, which was weird, then 3) I took a few steps on the world map and had to do maintenance again on zooming in.

I'm playing URW ver 3.40 (stable), with Shaman Mod 3.42. Running Windows 8 under Windows 7 compatibility mode. I'm approaching the end of year 2, waging a campaign of genocide against the Njerps until I find a hunting horn, so lots of junk on the ground. I did lose some things to the item limit bug, in case that's relevant.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:20:24 PM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »
Try updating to 3.50beta first, and see if it helps.

I recall some "frequent map maintenance" bugs were found in 3.40.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Leonidas

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »
What's the chance that upgrading to the current version will wreck the Shaman mod I'm running?

trento007

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:12:32 AM »
You may want to try the sartola, I noticed many of their villagers carry hunting horns while I was looking to buy a power knife.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 04:55:06 PM »
What's the chance that upgrading to the current version will wreck the Shaman mod I'm running?

No idea.

MrMotorhead

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:26:34 AM »
This is starting to happen to one of my characters.  I have only ever played on 3.5b2.  I am getting map maintenance when I zoom in to most zones, while traveling zoomed in to an unexplored area and even while sleeping in the middle of the night.  This character I have the most time played on and he has explored the largest area by far of any of my characters.

Sometimes the maintenance triggers twice in a row, here is a log snippet while sneaking, tracking an elk.
Code: [Select]
(663333):d8h9:[&]{06BC034F}      | You sneak ahead.
(143270):d8h9:[#]{06BC034F}      | UrW needs to perform map maintenance now. That will take a few moments.
(143270):d8h9:[#]{06BC034F}      | Ok, map maintenance done.
(143270):d8h9:[#]{06BC034F}      | UrW needs to perform map maintenance now. That will take a few moments.
(143270):d8h9:[#]{06BC034F}      | Ok, map maintenance done.
(663333):d8h9:[&]{06BC034F}      | You sneak ahead.

Other characters seem unaffected.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
Code: [Select]
[quote author=MrMotorhead link=topic=1100.msg3687#msg3687 date=1521095194]
This is starting to happen to one of my characters.  I have only ever played on 3.5b2.  I am getting map maintenance when I zoom in to most zones, while traveling zoomed in to an unexplored area and even while sleeping in the middle of the night.  This character I have the most time played on and he has explored the largest area by far of any of my characters.

Sometimes the maintenance triggers twice in a row, here is a log snippet while sneaking, tracking an elk.

Hmm. Could you .zip and send that savegame over to me for investigation? By e-mail attachment, or add download link.
Twice in a row is something that I can imagine happening in some cases with largely explored worlds, but after succesfull maintenance you should have decent amount of free play time afterwards. Weeks or months.

MrMotorhead

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »
I compressed the folder (with contents) bearing the character's name, hopefully this is everything that's needed.

http://cerulean.cloudapp.net/MAINIO.zip

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
I compressed the folder (with contents) bearing the character's name, hopefully this is everything that's needed.

http://cerulean.cloudapp.net/MAINIO.zip

Thanks, Motorhead. Everything needed was in there, and issue was found and is fixed now. This is Maintenance routines considered too many old maps important because of number of explored tiles, and thus didn't remove any of these unnecessary maps. This seems like rare occurrence, and mostly a result of playstyle, and fixed now making the maintenance routines a bit more eager to remove very old maps.

To allow you continue playing smoothly I'd be happy to manually maintenance your MAINIO savegame at it's current state. Zip it up once again, e-mail me the download link, and seize playing until I send  the fixed/maintenance savegame back to you.

@Leonidas - I can do the same kind of check/maintenance to your savegame as well. Drop an e-mail.

Fixed - persists in 3.50b2

MrMotorhead

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 05:03:53 AM »
I haven't played him since I zipped that folder, and thank you kindly for the help.  I switched to playing another character in the mean time, but it would be great to have Mainio back, as he's the guy that can really hit targets with the bow.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 09:14:14 PM »
I haven't played him since I zipped that folder, and thank you kindly for the help.  I switched to playing another character in the mean time, but it would be great to have Mainio back, as he's the guy that can really hit targets with the bow.

Alright @MrMotorhead, here comes maintenanced Mainio back to you:
https://we.tl/8X455v9Ayj

(That is WeTransfer link)

I hope he will be doing better with the maps now, abd should there be further maintenance problems with this character feel free to e-mail me directly.

anything