Topic: Lead Helper back to Village  (Read 3399 times)

Roheline

« on: January 29, 2018, 12:13:20 AM »
Playing the latest beta. I hired a companion to help fell some trees in the spot I'd picked for my future cabin site. The problem is that he seems to be stuck there now that his service is done. I think the problem is maybe that the spot is on a peninsula with water between the NPC and his village, so instead of walking home, he keeps trampling around on the shoreline.

It's becoming a problem now that that same village has offered me the robbers quest. I wanted to hire some helpers but no one will hire on with me until their "missing" villager returns, the one who continues to tromple around my little home site! And he himself refuses to be hired, so at present I have no means to get him back to his village and he's parading around my homesite like a lovesick puppy.

A simple suggestion:
Perhaps a short-lasting "follow me" command that would wear off after, say, 1-5 kilometers of movement. Then I could lead him back to his home, or at least to a location where he could access it.

This isn't the first thing something like this has happened, but in the past I managed to solve it by rehiring the same villager and making sure their "hiring period" ended somewhere very near the village. But with the changes where they refuse to hire based on reputation, I'm sort of stuck.

Mati256

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:37:32 AM »
There is an option to ask him to leave your land. Maybe if you keep doing this, you can heard him out of the peninsula.

A long time ago I dismissed a companion right on his village, but he decided to go wandering around, and in the end I had the same problem that you have but didn't know where the guy was.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »
The problem should solve itself as the water freezes in winter, but that's obviously too late to solve the immediate problem.
I make sure to dismiss hired hands somewhere accessible away from my homestead (again, too late...).

When it comes to fighting robbers, I've found you need a large posse anyway, which means you need to recruit from quite a few villages, and I'd make sure none of them has a missile weapon, or you're going to see injury, and possibly death, due to friendly fire (I've had quite a few cases of my characters being rendered unconscious by an arrow in the back during robber fights because hired help don't care if there's someone in between them and their target). On top of that, villagers refuse to being hired for reasons I fail to figure out (i.e. not now, but maybe in the future from people in villages I've made quite some quests for), which means I have to scour most of the tribe's territory to gain a sufficient force (I want at least 50% more people on my side, preferably double, including my character and dog). Remember that every companion who dies is one village less to recruit from in future robber fights, so you can't really afford losses.
On the other hand, you can now order the companions who drop out of aggro when the robber they fight is dead to attack new targets, which is a welcome fix (although you still have to be in the rather short talking distance of them for them to hear).