Topic: One shot, one kill...  (Read 7362 times)

Roman Lodestar

« on: January 16, 2018, 05:31:12 PM »

So... any medic available here? as far I can tell a arrow wound (with a crossbow) of that kind should be an instant kill due how deep the arrow has pierced the head, this is how I interpret every grade of the injury in the game:

Minor: Pierces the skin but only scratches the bone.
Serious: Pierces the bone but not enough to reach the brain.
Deep: Definitely manages to get to the brain (at least to poke it).

I'm not a doctor and my medical knowledge is somewhat rusted but as far I can tell a deep bleeding wound should be a fatal since you are obviously damaging a very important organ in the body, happened me three times in the game.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »
Not a medic...

No, it's possible to pierce the brain without killing the victim. Lobotomy the old way, when it was a fad, for instance (take a rusty screw driver, smash the bone up through the nose, wriggle around a a bit). They usually didn't die, I think.

There's also a case of a railway builder who had his head pierced by a thick rod when the explosive he was arming exploded. The rod entered the skull in one place, and poked out in another. He survived, but suffered permanent personality changes.

There's also a case of a psychotic man who tore out his own eye and push a pencil in until it hit the back of his skull, and I believe I've seen X-ray images of that skull with the pencil. "It itched".

Roman Lodestar

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:59:38 PM »
Well that changes a lot of things, in the Unreal World case I'd say it should cause a bit large period of unconsciousness by severe brain trauma, the guy which I hit fainted when got the headshot but in the next turn just get up and rushed at me like "Just a fresh wound".

I consider the Njerpez the playable version of Kaumolainen.

DfDevadander

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:56:29 AM »
You'd be surprised by what adrenaline can do to a person. This link has several stories of people who have survived a major impalement:

https://www.oddee.com/item_98009.aspx

WARNING: There are graphic images in there so please consider that if you are bothered by it. I have a medical background and don't have any issue with seeing that kind of thing, but I feel it's only fair to warn you

Roman Lodestar

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »
You'd be surprised by what adrenaline can do to a person. This link has several stories of people who have survived a major impalement:

https://www.oddee.com/item_98009.aspx

WARNING: There are graphic images in there so please consider that if you are bothered by it. I have a medical background and don't have any issue with seeing that kind of thing, but I feel it's only fair to warn you

I have seen a lot of graphic content in the past, I found those stories interesting to read, human body is fragile and at the same time resilient...

Back on topic, I just killed instantly a njerpez with a headshot, this time a broadhead arrow to the eye, I assume since that particular spot is clearly soft tissue the arrow just made its way easily inside and by being a broadhead type it just lacerated the brain enough to cause instant death, funny... one of my characters in the past got instantly killed the same way, made me ragequit as I saw "The wound prove to be fatal, you have died..." without any chance to do something about it.

Pongo

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
Had he detected you before you shot?

Roman Lodestar

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 10:44:49 PM »
I think he was facing me because his small blue arrow was pointing at me, otherwise it would be a wound to the skull.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
What if we imagined that the arrow pierced through his jaw/mouth? Devastating, to say the least but not fatal immediately. I always imagined the "skull" to be the whole facial area in Unreal World.

Pongo

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 10:51:56 PM »
When an enemy is ignoring you they are far more vulnerable to your attack.
And punctures get worse then deep I think. I am sure I have seen gievous wounds