|Tools Required:||Knives, Axes|
|Prefers:||Carving Axe, Small Knife|
|Ingredients:||2 Board, Tying Equipment , 4 lbs Animal hide|
|Craft Time:||5 h 20 min|
Skis are a wooden-leather tool and means of transport during winter time.
Skis are a tool used with the command. Wearing a pair of skis allows you to move quickly over the snow without constantly gaining Fatigue. This is a critical winter-time advantage, especially when hunting. Animals are significantly easier to chase down, and NPCs may carry skis but do not appear to use them as of version 3.17. Skiing will also remove the effects of encumbrance on mobility, allowing you to move at full speed while carrying a heavy load.pply
The skis are of different length, a shorter one for kicking and a longer one for sliding. The bottom of the shorter ski is lined with fur so it provides good grip when kicking but less friction when sliding. A single ski stick is used on the same side as the longer ski.
Wielding a ski stick or a northern spear is necessary in order to ski. Without a ski stick, you will be able to wear skis but they will not provide any benefit. Skis must be removed in order to climb.
The physical skill skiing is trained quickly by using skis to move across snow. The benefits of a high skiing skill are unclear.
Skis are craftable by the player.
Skis can be crafted from:
- 2 x boards
- An axe
- A knife (preferrably a small knife)
- 4 lbs (pounds) of animal hide
- 2 pieces of tying equipment
Ski sticks - Necessary for effectivelly propelling a pair of skis.
URW Game Encyclopedia description
The official URW in-game encyclopedia (accessed by the key) describes the skis thusly:
Skis are essential for travelling longer distances at the winter. It's very slow and fatiguing to walk in the deep snow without them. You are not likely to chase down any animals at the winter without skis.
Apply skis from the inventory to wear them. You'll also need a ski stick in order to ski.
Real life context
- History of skiing - General article on the English Wikipedia.
- Kalvträskskidan (Kalvträsk skis) - The oldest archaeological find of skis in Scandinavia, from northern Sweden. Roughly 5200 years old, based on current estimates.
- Making Traditional Wooden Skis - A video of a Norwegian craftsman manufacturing a traditional pair of skis.
- Wooden Ski Making - A short documentary on traditional wooden ski making in Scandinavia, with a Norwegian craftsman.