Poll

How did you discover UnReal World?

A friend told me
41 (4.5%)
I heard people talking about it at gaming event/concert/bar etc.
2 (0.2%)
I saw a let's play video on YouTube, or live gameplay on twitch etc.
117 (12.9%)
I read about it on some other gaming forums
80 (8.8%)
I read a review on some gaming site
36 (4%)
Being a roguelike fan, I found it on some roguelike site
118 (13%)
I actively searched the net for a game like this
174 (19.1%)
I was browsing the net for something else and found it by accident
60 (6.6%)
I've known UrW for so long that I don't actually remember
131 (14.4%)
Steam
124 (13.6%)
By some other way (you can reply here to tell your story)
26 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 905

Topic: How did you discover UnReal World? -- 10 choice poll  (Read 111673 times)

Airali

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 12:15:10 PM »
First things first: I just signed up on the forum, so I think that I should probably start by saying hello, it's nice to meet you all :)

I discovered the game through Reddit during the past Christmas holidays, I was sick at home with a very bad cold and looking for an immersive and in-depth survival game to sunk hours and hours into, and saw lots of users recommending this UnReal World game, so I said to myself "This game must be really cool, I should probably try it", and I'm so glad that I did because I love it, I've been playing it everyday since then, and you should know that I'm that kind of gamer who endlessly jumps from one game to another, so the fact that I've been sticking with it since then it's quite of an accomplishment for the game :D

P.S: English is not my native language (I am italian), so I apologize for all the mistakes that could be present in my posts, due to lack of practice my written english is becoming a bit rusty, but I hope you can bear with me :)

OblongNoodle

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 09:16:15 PM »
About 10 years Ago I needed a game that I could play offline as my parents turned off the internet after a certain time.

I remember having absolutely no idea what I was doing my first few nights as the instructions weren't great and I didn't understand what I was looking at. I had no internet to look up guides or anything so I would wander around until I died.

I picked up the game again after a year. I had forgotten the name and frantically researched online looking for Unreal World.

To this day I have played off and on. Over 50 different characters meeting different fates.

OblongNoodle

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 09:18:11 PM »
First things first: I just signed up on the forum, so I think that I should probably start by saying hello, it's nice to meet you all :)

I discovered the game through Reddit during the past Christmas holidays, I was sick at home with a very bad cold and looking for an immersive and in-depth survival game to sunk hours and hours into, and saw lots of users recommending this UnReal World game, so I said to myself "This game must be really cool, I should probably try it", and I'm so glad that I did because I love it, I've been playing it everyday since then, and you should know that I'm that kind of gamer who endlessly jumps from one game to another, so the fact that I've been sticking with it since then it's quite of an accomplishment for the game :D

P.S: English is not my native language (I am italian), so I apologize for all the mistakes that could be present in my posts, due to lack of practice my written english is becoming a bit rusty, but I hope you can bear with me :)

Welcome! Dig in to the forums! We're all happy to have you.

princebunnyboy

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 04:34:18 PM »
Was brought to my attention by Jefmajors streams, loved it then and still love it now, wish he was still active :c

shorun

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 04:03:17 AM »
First saw this game at Jef's 10/12 hour streams, found a pirated version after that, played it for 6 more hours and bought the lifetime membership the next day. :P

aye matey, even we pirates know a good deal when we's sees one.

fortunatly, the free version of the game makes it needless to pirate this gem. if my everlasting financial woes finally get resolved and i have undesignated money i'll get the good deal to. untill then, i'm just happy to get this gem for free. it's a great distraction when my mind refuses to catch sleep again.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:05:25 AM by shorun »

littlemoons

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »
I need to change my vote. I thought I had found URW by accident, but I remember that I was looking for a game exactly like this. Extreme PvE, hermit lifestyle, extreme survival scenarios, and self-sufficiency.

I was trying to get away from other crafting/survival games that had too much PvP and MMO RP elements.

I think I first downloaded this two, maybe three, years ago. I really love the lone-wolf style, PvE environment of URW.

Nydxz

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 08:43:45 AM »
 Uhm... Now, the first time I saw Unreal World? That's a hard question... I think the very first time I got exposed to the game was around 2009. I was searching the web for some roguelike game from my childhood, which I never found, sadly, instead of my childhood game I found UrW.... Been around messing with it since then. With breaks every now and then and coming back not long after.
 You can say am the one who were lurking into the shadows for long a time, but never approached until now.
 Well, that's it before I go away and resume lurking into the shadows once more. ; :)

Maisling

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
I've been into this game on and off for about 6 years now. I remember hearing about roguelike games on some article or other, and thought i'd like to give one a try. I think I sort of stumbled onto this one after googling roguelike. It took me about a week to properly learn the interface, and even longer before I wasn't just randomly dying after a few days of starving. Amazing how Sami and friends have packed so much depth into something so graphically simple. The only other game i've i've kept returning to like this one is Civilization 3. I feel like the two games are comparable in terms of pure depth of gameplay.

favomancer

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 05:58:20 AM »
I'm a bit of a fiend for survival/sandbox games, and I got this off steam for $10USD.

That was I think a week ago. I haven't stopped poking at it. (:

werepacman

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »
Since I switch to Linux game options become limited. I searched for something like Angband or Nethack but with graphic.

I always prefer gameplay to graphics.
Low graphics actually can be predictor of good game. Like board games and chess there are no graphic at all.
If people play game without visual effects there must be a reason.
When I saw unedited photos with pixel graphics I realize this must be something interesting.

Saukko

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 10:08:41 PM »
Played it briefly in the mid-nineties or thereabouts, then put it down because it was too hard. Fast forward 20 years and I see it mentioned in a thread on RPS and thought "that game still exists?" and decided to try it out again - especially as I've been listening to Heilung lately, and been into retro bushcrafting and survival/prepping, so it was kind of logical.

Ara D.

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »
I had a job that was mostly automated but still needed a human to monitor and occasionally adjust the process so I had free time and a computer. I was poking around the internet archive (archive.org) dos game section for something to play stumbled across a version 2.40 UrW. I tryied and liked it so I googled it and came into the modern world of 3.40. I side note I almost cried when they disabled the USB ports and I could no longer play my thumb drive copy at work

Petike

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2018, 10:09:09 PM »
Hello all. I'm new to this forum, though I've been playing URW on and off for quite a while.

I first discovered UnReal World over three years ago, on an external site intended for its promotion - the URW profile at IndieDB.com. Then I came over to the official site, downloaded the then-new version 3.19 and started learning the ropes. The shortcut commands were a bit intimidating at first, but I soon made sense of them and the rest went quite smoothly.

I played Unreal World most heavily in 2015 and 2016, but I intend to return to playing it and finally try out some mods, at least for the latest version of the game (3.52). I still have version 3.19 on my computer and I intend to keep it installed (just for nostalgia's sake and to continue a bit of my existing playthrough), but I'll also do a separate install of the latest version and keep updating that one. :) Though I like the newer graphics a lot, there was something cute about the 3.19 (and previous) graphics that keeps me coming back to that older version.

I like all the new modding that's sprung up around the latest releases. I was impressed by the depth of the sim when I first played in 2015, but I love the fact URW's players still want to add more depth and detail. My kind of people. :)

bbbart

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2018, 12:03:36 AM »
I was querying the Arch Linux package manager for urw-fonts to install (https://ctan.org/pkg/urw) when one of the search results descibed itself as "UnReal World is a unique low-fantasy roguelike game set in the far north during the late Iron-Age". I installed the game instead of the fonts, without really knowing what to expect, and immediately did a straight 8-hour run in my first ever gameplay... :-D

This was 3.32 in August 2016.

Slyse

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Traveling in the Far North
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
Originally started playing somewhere in 02-03 when the game was version 2.7, hard to say where I originally bumped into it, but I was drawn by the fact that it was a domestic game with beautiful graphics. Still going strong with my longest living character Raimo Reemiläinen, and I still can't get enough of the game. I found my lifetime-registration package/code in my old email account, which states that I bought the licence on 7.8.2003. Seems to be a recurring date in my life, since I got married on 7.8.2018, and now I'm bugging my wife to have a go at the game :)