Topic: Short Questions/Quick Answers  (Read 108803 times)

princebunnyboy

« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2018, 06:21:56 PM »
So summer is coming up, just planted my crops and I've hit the item limit on my character already. I hate just dropping and losing things randomly and being overburdened. What clothes are useless during summer? I took off my fur overcoat but I don't want my armor to go down too much... I have things like iron helms and lamellar hauberk, long mail cowl, mail mittens, fur cloak, etc. Any help?

Also what protects the face well? Thanks!! :D

davidor

« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2018, 06:39:15 PM »
you can just take off everything

fur hood and spectacle helm covers face

PALU

« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2018, 06:43:39 PM »
Hitting the item limit without hauling spoils sounds like your character is very seriously overloaded, which can be lethal in a fight, as rapidly increasing encumbrance penalties can cause your character to be unable to both move and hit anything.

Spectacle helmets are the main face protection devices. Veils might help a little against cold.

When it comes to armor, try to wear just as much as you need, and adapt to the situation. For combat, use the 'A' screen to see how well protected your character is with different combinations, and drop the stuff that doesn't seem to add anything, starting with the heaviest items. For warmth, use the 'A' screen and switch to the 'warmth' display.

davidor

« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »
Is villager consuming your food a thing now?

moved to bug report
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:08:17 PM by davidor »

princebunnyboy

« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2018, 09:26:50 PM »
What regions have the most animal activity? During summer or winter?

I know it seems like no mans land has more, but I'm planning on having a lone hunter, so I'd like the best spot.

Míriel

« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2018, 05:13:15 AM »
Hi, I'm trying to complete the animal in the forest cover quest but after finding the right tracks and the animal appearing it doesn't seem inclined to follow me, the last time I did it the animal followed me without a hitch so I don't know what's wrong now, anyone had the same issues?

I saved the file and started testing it, I think it may be a bug because when I loaded the game the animal was nowhere to be seen despite the fact that I was right next to it when I exited the game and finding the very fresh tracks stopping suddenly I lit a spruce branch fire to see what would happen and the animal appeared again, retracing the tracks I confirmed they came from nowhere and that the animal still wouldn't follow me so I will create a post on bug reports about it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:23:08 PM by Míriel »

PALU

« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
Haven't had any problem with the animal following me in the quest I've made. I'd try to save the game and copy the save so you can experiment. Does the animal follow you up to the world map when you zoom out?
Have you tried putting it on a leash (I think it refused when I tried, but if it doesn't follow willingly...).

@princebunnyboy: I've got no info on this. I've settled based on terrain features, and so far haven't had any problem with lack of food in any of those places (small islands without a water craft is an issue, of course, but I've never aimed at making it hard deliberately). However, I have a cellar with dried/smoked food to tide me over,

hantu1911

« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »
What regions have the most animal activity? During summer or winter?

I know it seems like no mans land has more, but I'm planning on having a lone hunter, so I'd like the best spot.

Does matter much where you are, if you get this old man happy, you will get plenty of animal.

The happy old man aka forest spirit even invite me to hunt the bear.

Just perform the general sacrifice once per day.

foreign trader

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
Do domestic animals (cow, dog) need a building to survive the winter?

PALU

« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2018, 07:18:37 PM »
Do domestic animals (cow, dog) need a building to survive the winter?
No. Animals without protection can fall victim to predators, though (but bears can open doors and smash fences, while wolves and smaller can pass through/over fences).

foreign trader

« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2018, 05:59:34 AM »
bears can open doors

That's the scariest thing I have ever read.

In that case, do wolves trigger trap pits/heavy deadfall traps or do I need to make separate fence layers of small and large traps - one for wolves (and lynx, etc.) and one for bears?

PALU

« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »
Wolves are caught in bear and pit traps, but I think the lynx is too small: they're caught in the second largest fall trap, though (together with wolves).

My current defense consists of an inner line of small traps (snare, fox, or light lever) and an outer line of bear traps. I'm not sure that's needed, though, as animals of the wrong size used not to cross lines of smaller ones. However, my latest character has had elks cross fox traps, which is why I'm adding the outer layer.

It can be noted that humans can pass any kind of trap. I've had visiting vagabonds who pass over fox traps without disturbing them, and I've had Njerps in the past who disabled bear traps. It can be noted that humans can still fall into isolated traps, but they recognize trap lines and trap fences (and have no trouble scaling fences). My current character accidentally killed a trader as he managed to step into a pit trap (without stakes). A past test with using pit traps (with and without spikes) and bear traps against Njerps showed the traps only resulted in minor injuries, without trapping them, but that was in combat when they were in battle rage, and non raging Njerps might suffer worse.

The safest protection is a wall, as the only thing that can get at you there are creatures spawning on the inside (which can happen: I had a squirrel spawning in my stable, which has two trees in it so I have something to tie the animals to, which also means there are two holes in the roof). Building a wall around the homestead is quite some task, though, even if I reuse the trunks from the bear traps as half of the building material. It's part of the long term plan, though.

WereFrog

« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »
I haven't played much in ages, so the new spell system and quests is new to me. How often do villages generate new spells? Is there any way of finding out which village has a quest without checking each of them individually? Do some cultures have more quests than others?

Also, how on earth do you learn new spells?

(oh, and is it really not possible to upload an avatar to this new forum?)

Privateer

« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2018, 08:40:07 PM »
I haven't played much in ages, so the new spell system and quests is new to me. How often do villages generate new spells? Is there any way of finding out which village has a quest without checking each of them individually? Do some cultures have more quests than others?

Also, how on earth do you learn new spells?

(oh, and is it really not possible to upload an avatar to this new forum?)

Spells are now learned from quest givers as reward. There is no detection for who may have quests or what the reward may be.
Talking to NPCs is the only way. Not sure about culture having more or less. Though area like Dirk with so many villages and people
may provide higher chance, or more aggravating if you are seeking them specifically.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

PALU

« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »
I'm not aware of any rituals being culture dependent, although I suspect one might be gender specific.

Similarly, I'm not aware of quests being culture specific, but there's at least one dependent on being outside of your culture and another dependent on being in your culture, and probably with a reasonable standing as well.

anything