Topic: Sauna instructions and usage  (Read 913 times)

TMagurowitz

« on: December 16, 2023, 09:01:53 PM »
Hey! Can someone give step by step instructions for how to use a sauna? Not for the game course, just for freely doing it when I want to. I suspect I need:

+ a building with fireplace
  + a vasta
  + a tub of water(?)
  + stones(?)

Also what is a sauna actually used for? I read influenza is in the game and plague was taken out. I know you can get food or mushroom or herb poisoning. Does it help with any of these conditions? How long should I take it for?

Galgana

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 10:31:30 PM »
At minimum, the sauna mechanic requires:

sauna stove; an ordinary fireplace isn't adequate for the purpose
  • Most villages will have a sauna building with the stove, a tub to hold water, and a bench (this piece of furniture is just there for immersion afaik)
  • If you wish to have your own stove, you must 1) have a fully constructed wooden building with the walls and floors done; 2) gather 40 stones + 15 rocks to construct the stove.
    A sauna building may also function as a smokehouse, or a small starter home before you acquire the materials for a bigger living space.
fuel to heat the stove for several hours: a good steam requires about 50 pounds of fuel (equivalent to 1 slender tree trunk)

water for steam
  • Pick up a container (any size will do)
  • Stand next to a water source and open the inventory
  • Use the [a] apply key and select the container you wish to fill
  • Stand next to the sauna stove and open the inventory
  • Use the [a] apply key and select the container with water
  • The message log will inform you about the status of the stove's steam; you'll also see the screen flash white and hear sound effects of water being thrown on the heated sauna stove

In general terms for the game's setting, when the weather is freezing a sauna bath becomes the main method of maintaining hygiene. Although hygiene as a system isn't modeled in the game, using the sauna gives a boost to the player's health in terms of wound/illness recovery rate. (For symptoms of poisoning, you're basically sweating out the toxins.)

Applying a vasta will buff the health benefits, so it's a good idea to stock up on birch twigs when they're in season during the summer.

Since the game performs checks to wound status once a day in the morning, a daily sauna regime could help when you require it.

TMagurowitz

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 08:52:37 PM »
At minimum, the sauna mechanic requires:

sauna stove; an ordinary fireplace isn't adequate for the purpose
  • Most villages will have a sauna building with the stove, a tub to hold water, and a bench (this piece of furniture is just there for immersion afaik)
  • If you wish to have your own stove, you must 1) have a fully constructed wooden building with the walls and floors done; 2) gather 40 stones + 15 rocks to construct the stove.
    A sauna building may also function as a smokehouse, or a small starter home before you acquire the materials for a bigger living space.
fuel to heat the stove for several hours: a good steam requires about 50 pounds of fuel (equivalent to 1 slender tree trunk)

water for steam
  • Pick up a container (any size will do)
  • Stand next to a water source and open the inventory
  • Use the [a] apply key and select the container you wish to fill
  • Stand next to the sauna stove and open the inventory
  • Use the [a] apply key and select the container with water
  • The message log will inform you about the status of the stove's steam; you'll also see the screen flash white and hear sound effects of water being thrown on the heated sauna stove

In general terms for the game's setting, when the weather is freezing a sauna bath becomes the main method of maintaining hygiene. Although hygiene as a system isn't modeled in the game, using the sauna gives a boost to the player's health in terms of wound/illness recovery rate. (For symptoms of poisoning, you're basically sweating out the toxins.)

Applying a vasta will buff the health benefits, so it's a good idea to stock up on birch twigs when they're in season during the summer.

Since the game performs checks to wound status once a day in the morning, a daily sauna regime could help when you require it.

Wow what a great reply. Thank you, now I fully understand saunas! I wasn't even certain they had an effect players can actually reliably and undeniably see, I thought they mighta been like the spirits.

One thing though: how long should I take the sauna for? Is there a notification that tells you you've properly sauna'd yourself? Should I just wait for the fire to burn out? I know irl they're only like 15 minutes or something but idk how to measure that ingame

anything