Topic: How far away are "You hear X Robbers singing nearby to the <direction>"?  (Read 3415 times)

PALU

« on: June 09, 2023, 10:44:21 AM »
I've looked for robbers after such a prompt in the past, without finding anything in mires (walking back and forth on the zoomed in map), and now I received such a message as I left my homestead. I scoured the area on the zoomed in map back and forth to a depth of about 4 world map tiles, without finding any trace of them, either in person or in the form of tracks.

How far away are they supposed to be? It will be some rather uneasy sleeping in the near future, as well as tense trap checking routines (should I armor up to the best of my ability, or should I beggar down to only use worthless stuff and let them rob me so I know where they are? Dealing with robbers in spruce infested forests is a pain at the best of times...

JP_Finn

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 06:21:34 PM »
I always prefer to beggar down, go out with crudest clothing, carry regular knife and maybe a grainflail for euthanizing animals in traps.
If/when the robbers show themselves: no big loss. Then go gather posse and armor up. Then return to the robbers and in your best Samuel L. Jackson imitation voice: "Surprise mother f____r!"

Unless you have 3+ dogs to help swarm the robbers, then the armor up could work from get go.

As for a distance, if it's same as bird song, could be 5th tile away, I've heard birds over 3 tiles wide lake from homestead. (unless the birds decided to sing in flight?!

anything