Topic: Stuck on a rock...  (Read 3675 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: May 19, 2023, 02:06:41 AM »
I entered my home area, and it auto zoomed in as it does, and I appeared on a single tile raised location that is too steep to climb off of. This has never happened before. And I cannot found a way to get off...I am too close to water to zoom back out...is my save just wasted then?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 09:50:29 AM »
So you can't even climb down? I didn't even know anything was that steep (I essentially don't climb at all).

I believe it is possible to hack the save to move your character, but I don't know how to do that myself. With a bit of luck somebody with that knowledge will post a description of how to do it.

Unless your homestead is on a water tile you're zoomed in to the wrong tile, as you've ended up on the water tile rather than terrain that is normally available for zooming in. There is a long standing bug in auto zoom in causing my characters to zoom in to a tile one step away from the one they zoomed out from, so I've disabled auto zoom in to homestead (manual zooming in works correctly).

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 10:20:09 AM »
I entered my home area, and it auto zoomed in as it does, and I appeared on a single tile raised location that is too steep to climb off of. This has never happened before. And I cannot found a way to get off...I am too close to water to zoom back out...is my save just wasted then?

Climibing, as suggested by PALU, might be the first thing to try.
But if that, and everything fails, just send me the savegame (.zipped up etc.) and I'll help you out.
You can e-mail the save at: sami [at] unrealworld.fi
- Sami | UnReal World creator

GrimmSpector

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 06:16:32 PM »
So you can't even climb down? I didn't even know anything was that steep (I essentially don't climb at all).

I believe it is possible to hack the save to move your character, but I don't know how to do that myself. With a bit of luck somebody with that knowledge will post a description of how to do it.

Unless your homestead is on a water tile you're zoomed in to the wrong tile, as you've ended up on the water tile rather than terrain that is normally available for zooming in. There is a long standing bug in auto zoom in causing my characters to zoom in to a tile one step away from the one they zoomed out from, so I've disabled auto zoom in to homestead (manual zooming in works correctly).

The tile is the river biome, but it is not in the water, it's on the land. There's just a one tile thing that's much higher than everything else right near my homestead. It's within like 3 or 4 tiles of the water, I like to build close to water. It's just never ever stuck me like this.

But if that, and everything fails, just send me the savegame (.zipped up etc.) and I'll help you out.

I literally said it's too steep to climb in the post ... that's what the game is telling me when I try to move .. there's no other way to climb other than to just move and get the climbing prompt is there? It wil not let me, despite my 91% climbing stat.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 06:17:54 PM »
Maybe a visual will help? https://imgur.com/a/bUB7VAK

JP_Finn

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 07:23:20 PM »
To initiate climbing:
Alt+l

You can climb trees too, but be careful, encumbrance will cause you to fall; better drop everything you're carrying before scurrying up a tree.

The game prompts you only to climb fences and 2 level terrain changes. Taller elevation changes or big rocks in villages are "too high  to climb". You ARE stuck on a 1 tile rocky point. Like Sami said: zip the save file and email it to him.

My guess here is: you zoomed out of the local map NW tile adjacent to the rock point. Game auto-zooms back in on entry 1 tile SE of exit point when returning to 'your settlement'.

JP_Finn

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 07:24:18 PM »
to clarify, that's Alt+ lower case L

GrimmSpector

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 08:41:32 PM »
To initiate climbing:
Alt+l

You can climb trees too, but be careful, encumbrance will cause you to fall; better drop everything you're carrying before scurrying up a tree.

The game prompts you only to climb fences and 2 level terrain changes. Taller elevation changes or big rocks in villages are "too high  to climb". You ARE stuck on a 1 tile rocky point. Like Sami said: zip the save file and email it to him.

My guess here is: you zoomed out of the local map NW tile adjacent to the rock point. Game auto-zooms back in on entry 1 tile SE of exit point when returning to 'your settlement'.

No joy, it just does the same thing as if I tried to move normally (which normally initiates climbing), "That's too steep to be climbed!" ... guess I'm screwed :(

JP_Finn

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 10:07:32 PM »
Zip the save folder*, email it to Sami. He can fix that.

*It's your character's name in all-caps, in the game folder (the location of that varies by operating system, but searching your character's name will locate it for you)

GrimmSpector

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 06:24:22 PM »

Thanks, I'll fire it over to you!