Topic: [Fixed] 3.80 (beta) hangs on setting change (minor issue)  (Read 4299 times)

PALU

« on: April 25, 2023, 09:34:49 AM »
I downloaded and installed the new version (Lifetimer), copied my character, ancestors, "mod" portraits, and a couple of tile replacements (various missiles in brighter colors to make it easier for me, the player, to find them) to the new version (I don't think any of that is relevant, but mention it for completeness).

After that I started the game, changed settings to the ones I want (in particular full screen, although activating the grid and maximum night brightness (squinting is no fun...) might also be graphics related. Music off, and metric units, auto enter homestead off (the bug reported a long time ago about zooming in that way and returning to a tile to the side of the one used for leaving remained in 0.72.2)).

After changing the settings I then activated Quit, at which time the game hang for a minute or so until I gave up waiting and killed it. When starting again the settings appear to be as they'd been changed to (haven't actually loaded my character), which is why I consider it a minor issue.

When changing the setting the music turned off immediately, while changing to full screen mode didn't take effect (and my suspicion is that the hanging is caused by the game trying to exit from full screen mode while actually still in windowed, although that's just a guess.

I haven't tried to revert and repeat, but I'm prepared to play around with things (including re-installation) if desired.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 06:52:45 PM by Sami »

ineedcords

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 08:27:36 PM »
Is this not the same issue with the described in your other post from ~2 years ago, here: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6467.0
So does this bug occur, if you do all this exactly the same but not touch the (background) music setting at all?
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 10:06:53 AM »
It most probably is the same.

I tested now by starting the game, turning music on and switching to windowed, exited, started again, and disabled the music (only). It hung when exiting, so it's most likely tied to the music (Yes, I'm an oddball who starts any new game with turning off whatever music there is as the very first action: I find music annoying and distracting in games). I basically did the reverse of what you suggested. After that I of course restored the windowed setting to full screen (because that's what I use), with no ill effects.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 10:47:14 AM »
Yes, it's the same, and the freezepoint (at SDL audio freeing resources) is still the same.
Never figured a workaround, but will give it another look.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 11:08:05 AM »
Okay, managed to find a workaround which solved the issue at least on my end.
Fixed with 99% certainty. We'll tag this report again after stable is out and has been tried by out.

Fixed - persists in 3.80 beta.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

PALU

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 10:05:37 AM »
I don't encounter this when trying 3.80. Thanks!

anything