Topic: [Not a bug] Cant plant crops in autumn  (Read 5890 times)

MHB

« on: March 03, 2023, 11:02:35 AM »
I read that rye, turnips and barley can be planted in fall and dirt month. However i get the message: "Its too late to plant x this year."
Im in late fall month so i should have plenty of time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:30:57 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 01:58:55 PM »
This is most likely not a bug:

Different plants have different growth periods, and they don't line up with month boundaries (plants don't know or care about the human invention of months). In fact, withering time isn't fixed, but varies from location to location, so you may encounter some withered plants in one place, while finding others of the same species a little distance away that is just withering (and the same goes with maturing). In addition to that, you can't plant when the soil is too cold, both in the spring and in the autumn, although attempting to do that results in a different message.

The wiki has a page (https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Plants) containing information on when different plants can be planted, although it hasn't been updated to cover flax, and so presumably doesn't cover any changes that may have been done to other plants since then, so the information should probably be taken with a grain of salt.
Again, the month during which plants wither is a wide span around a non specified "target" time with some randomness added on top of that. Also, I'm not sure how close to withering you can plant new crops: it may be that planting can't be done for some time before withering is complete. If you're harvesting autumn planted crops (to ensure the crop starts to grow immediately in spring, you always have some time to harvest and replant (a couple of weeks for Rye, I think) using the seeds gained from the harvest (assuming you thresh it promptly, of course). I assume it's possible to be extremely unlucky and have cold weather get in the way, but the growth season is sufficient.

MHB

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 03:02:01 PM »
Thanks!

anything