Topic: Activity list  (Read 4970 times)

Grand Sage

« on: May 19, 2022, 03:32:54 AM »
Heyo!

I thought it could be fun for us to compile a list of short-term activities, that you can do in this game. I have notices that most suggestions for fending off boredom are large scale projects, sometimes involving a larger degree of danger. Im thinking more along the lines of "I need a break from building my 3 houses and maintaining 2 cellars of food".

There are the obvious ones, like fishing or ice-fishing, hunting trips, crafting arrows and splitting firewood. But i want to hear your ideas for more than that.

I got:

Scouting for herbs and other ressources. You could even keep a list of interresting places that you have/need to check out.

Building Cashes. Cellars with food and a few other ressources, that help you get around the world.

Creating your own ritual site. Top of a mountain or middle of a forest or marsh. with a few stone piles, bones and a place for a fire, that "general" sacrifice can be a little more special.

Seal-hunting. I dont know why I distinguish it from other hunting, but for me its more of a fun/traditional activity than a foodsource.

Lets hear what you guys do or can come up with!

JP_Finn

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 07:12:16 AM »
“Trapping cluster” checking breaks winter monotony.

Pick a small/medium pine marsh surrounded by taller growth. Set pawboard, couple loukku and couple loops. Do this on 3-4 spots on the edges of the pine mire. The distance should be few hours of skiing at most. Set 3-4 for clusters in different directions from the home stead.
You can also set kota(s) further away from the home stead to support further trapping clusters.
I mean, what else can you use those ragged reindeer hides, that one … trades… from Njerpez camps?

Archery practice against a log wall is an option too, but I find that even more tedious than other activities.

My all time favorite winter activity though, is elk/reindeer hunting. Skis, bow, dog. Get up early morning, scout and run down the game. Process hide and set the meat to dry. Very often the year’s (cut of for me is beginning of new drying season) cellar has over 1,000lbs of dried elk. Trade and donate the excess meat end of coming summer.

In summer time after planting usually meager farm; I like to go explore with a punt and a fat stack of winter furs. There’s usually some masterworks and some beautiful pots to acquire.

Late summer is most definitely spent wandering about, gathering herbs and storing mushrooms, which sometime do make it in the cellar to winter to make nicer stews… nobody wants to live 100% on dried elk&bear diet. Except the dogs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:24:50 AM by JP_Finn »

JP_Finn

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 07:21:38 AM »
When scouting for herbs, I generally only F6|Green mark: bearpipe, burdock, golden rod.
Oh, and bog beans. Roots are good for elk and hare bait and goes in stews with turnips.

Most everything else is abundant and gets in to hundreds in few in-game days picking/harvesting.

Some of my characters do leave caches all over the map. Often in partially built caves. Sometimes in Njerpez—reindeer hide kotas. 
Knife, usually broad, handaxe or woodsman’s axe, some garments, few furs, pot, dried meat, bowl/basket/bag of flour. Javelins or bow&arrows. Just in case running blind into Robbers.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:26:06 AM by JP_Finn »

Grand Sage

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 02:31:15 PM »
yeah, the F6 tip is need. I need this list partially because my characters die of boredom before they make it a year, so i also use those marks to designate when an area is ripe for harvest.

Btw, do you know how long you can make a chord or rope? i thought it would be quite fun if you can make like 500 ft of birchbark rope, and its less of a intensive task than building a village or eradicating njerpetz.

Privateer

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 07:41:58 PM »
"Flashy Dresser"
 Make and wear snake skin leather boots.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

JP_Finn

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 08:04:15 PM »
—snip—

Btw, do you know how long you can make a chord or rope?

255’ max. I don’t know how long the limit is exactly in (rounded up) meters. (Should be around 77.7m)

JP_Finn

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 08:07:45 PM »
"Flashy Dresser"

I’ve made hazel grouse cuirass once. It took a while of trapping. Over a year IIRC
I can only shudder at the thought how long it would take to hunt down enough snakes. (To make shoes… no leather boots in vanilla)

Privateer

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 08:57:48 PM »
"Flashy Dresser"

I’ve made hazel grouse cuirass once. It took a while of trapping. Over a year IIRC
I can only shudder at the thought how long it would take to hunt down enough snakes. (To make shoes… no leather boots in vanilla)

You're right... Leather boots not player craftable in vanilla, but they are in game (- changed: 'laced leather shoes' replaced with 'leather boots') So I guess it's Snake skin leather shoes ;D

Edit: I just realized that the vanilla game doesn't bother with the originating fur/skin name anymore in player craft :(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 01:32:44 AM by Privateer »
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

JP_Finn

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 05:20:55 AM »
Edit: I just realized that the vanilla game doesn't bother with the originating fur/skin name anymore in player craft :(

Still does. Just made: bear fur hood, bear fur mittens and forest reindeer footwear.
And black grouse leather belt.

Edit: 3.71 stand-alone
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 05:26:13 AM by JP_Finn »

Bakkat

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 12:03:58 AM »

Creating your own ritual site. Top of a mountain or middle of a forest or marsh. with a few stone piles, bones and a place for a fire, that "general" sacrifice can be a little more special.

I don't know how rituals were managed back there, or even in-game to be honest. But this looks so appealing.
Thanks for the idea!
"When All the rivers get poisoned....
...Then we'll realize"