Topic: Land North of Njerpez??  (Read 2605 times)

Isauros

« on: January 08, 2022, 09:56:13 PM »
After combing dozens of old threads, one thing I've never seen mentioned specifically is the barren wasteland North of the Njerpez. I'm new to the game and looking specifically to specialize in active hunting, and saw the advice that the more N/NE the more large animals there are.

I decided to settle on the Kuikka river, but have been surprised to see that there is a significant absence of large predators. I've played since winter start and 1st Harvest month is coming to end, and have only encountered 1 bear just recently. I've heard a wolf pack in the Midwest and saw my only lynx in the far north of the area in the title when I was scouting the NE coast for a river. This has got me interested in what the hunting is like there. Perhaps the No Mans' Land around Seal-tribe is actually quite barren for hunting mammals? There a lot of elk and reindeer around this current spot, though, so perhaps I'm just experiencing the annual differences in migrations. Although, the Kaumo culture description mentions big game hunting. Maybe being east is just as important and being north? Or maybe animal pops are just random everywhere and it was just and old wives tale.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 09:59:50 PM by Isauros »

Matti-patti

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 02:25:59 PM »
That point about predators is interesting. I normally tend to set my cabin around or in the Koivulais lands as it's in central location, but in current game I'm living in Kaumo and I'm having decent success trapping gluttons, wolves and lynxes. Maybe 1.5-2 animals per big deadfall trap in the first 6 months of the game or so? Granted I have not previously done dedicated trapping with big deadfalls, so I don't known if that's really better than elsewhere.

The amount of bears I have seen seems pretty usual though, and I haven't actually bothered to hunt any.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 02:27:42 PM by Matti-patti »