Topic: WIP[3.7x] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 22299 times)

Brygun

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2022, 10:58:38 PM »

How are things going?

>>>>

In terms of what can break the modding is very resilient. The only real difficulty is more the oddity if you delete tile graphics. An already created item will still point to that file name and since there isn't one will on the map show nothing. This makes the item invisible while moving around. If you examine the tile to see the list of items it will appear as its name with no graphic.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2022, 05:11:07 AM »
It looks like the Northern Staff Bow isn't working correctly. I can produce it, and when I use it, it tells me it lacks a bowstring, but when I "a"pply a bowstring and try to repair it, it tells me it's not a bow. So I'm at a loss here. :(

GrimmSpector

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2022, 06:44:53 PM »
I wonder if anyone has any uses for dried berries made through this other than as fish bait?

Brygun

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 10:12:52 PM »
I wonder if anyone has any uses for dried berries made through this other than as fish bait?

iirc the Dried berries have a change to the spoilage so that they last much longer than normal berries. That was the intent at the time.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2022, 12:57:12 AM »

iirc the Dried berries have a change to the spoilage so that they last much longer than normal berries. That was the intent at the time.

Yeah, they just don't act like berries anymore, generic food no use in recipes or herblore.

I really can't figure out the bow issue, want that working bow!

Nydxz

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2022, 01:48:07 AM »

Yeah, they just don't act like berries anymore, generic food no use in recipes or herblore.

I really can't figure out the bow issue, want that working bow!

This one is a simple problem. Head in your diy_BAC_bowying file and find this line:

.Northern staff-bow. "Northern spear" [effort:2] [phys:stance,arms] *CARPENTRY*  /7h/ \1d\ |2|

and alter it to this:

.Northern staff-bow. "Northern bow" [effort:2] [phys:stance,arms] *CARPENTRY*  /7h/ \1d\ |2|

Lovesclaiton

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2022, 01:39:25 AM »
Its just me or I cant find the Pliers on Toolmaking, and for some reason the Iron spectacle helm protection crafted is worst than a used one

Pr0man

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2022, 03:02:15 PM »
For some strange reason the dip net straight up doesn't work in 3.71 to scoop lake ore - works as a fishing rod, sure, but that's not why I want to use it. I even downloaded 3.63 stable and tested it out there with the mod version appropriate for 3.63 and all works perfectly fine.
I tried a whole bunch of combinations to see if I'm doing something wrong, but it does not matter if my character holds the dip net, if it is on the ground or if I have it in my inventory to select it if the game asks for the dip net - it won't be recognized as a tool when selecting the "scoop for lake ore" option. Also does not matter if I attach a bone or iron hook to it or leave it unhooked (as an aside, it's weird to be able to attach a hook to it), nothing seems to work.

Tinker

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2022, 10:07:35 AM »
The dip net is based on a fishing rod, see the diy_bac_toolmaking.txt file. This means it inherits the fishing rod property, like being adlse to add hooks.

It may help to change it to Net which should allow fishing for fish as well as ore, or you may need to change it to some other tool or hunting horn.

I cannot test this myself as I am still saving up to buy 3.71,

Pr0man

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 03:34:35 PM »
The dip net is based on a fishing rod, see the diy_bac_toolmaking.txt file. This means it inherits the fishing rod property, like being adlse to add hooks.

It may help to change it to Net which should allow fishing for fish as well as ore, or you may need to change it to some other tool or hunting horn.

I cannot test this myself as I am still saving up to buy 3.71,
Changing it to "Net" worked out after creating a new one.

I was previously fiddling around with the file and tried changing to "Hunting Horn" as well, but that yielded no real results. Doing so again I just had the idea of creating the item again after changing the value, I assume this flag only sets the items capabilities -after- it is created using this action, not retroactively for already existing items in the world, which is why I had not gained any results. Hunting Horn as such might also work if one wants to forego the fishing capabilities of it.

rudy

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2022, 04:36:22 AM »
Hello All,

I've made some modifications to the BAC files, with the primary goal of reducing the number of menus used. This version has 20 total menus (including vanilla) instead of 24, meaning there are 5 "spaces" instead of 1. There were a few removals that I thought were redundant, or unnecessary.

I'm not so arrogant as to claim this is the "new" version of BAC, but I hope that it may be useful to others who want more menu space.

Note in the attached picture the last three menus are not from BAC, but rather from my Magic Mod.

The full list of changes is below. I would be delighted to hear positive or negative feedback on the changes thus implemented. I am unlikely to stop at tweaking the mod here, and may revert changes if there is good reason given why it's a bad change.

* Renamed "Birch Shortbow" recipe to just "Shortbow"
* Renamed "Tipped Arrow" recipe to just "Arrow"
* Renamed "Wooden Blunt Arrow" recipe to just "Blunt Arrow"
WHY: This is complicated, but a good reason. These three recipes show up under the vanilla Weapons menu. BAC aims to replace them with its own 'versions' of the recipes. It removes the vanilla recipes by commenting them out in diy_glossary. This is fine if you install the mod by overwriting. However, if you install the mod with the mod manager, the vanilla recipes are still there, in addition to the versions under Bowying and Fletching menus. By changing the new recipes to exactly match the names of the vanilla recipes, that guarantees that the vanilla ones will be 'overwritten', even if they are still in diy_glossary.  (This also applies to "Spruce quick-bow", but the BAC recipe already exactly matched the name of the vanilla recipe, and so was already overwritten.)

* Combined Boneworking and Hideworking into "Hide and Bone" submenu
WHY: More spaces for menus

* Removed 'Woollen Garments' menu.
WHY: Duplicates items from Knitting menu, Knitting option more immersive.

* got rid of 'tub' chain of recipes in Lumber.
WHY: These cluttered up the menu, and are superseded by the containers made with the Carpentry menu. These are too easy to make for things that store liquids, in any case.

* got rid of bundle/unbundle branches in Lumber, as they just used up two precious menu spaces in my eyes.

* Removed 'Weave Wool Cloth' option from textilecraft.
WHY: Was only used for Woollen garments menu, so useless with the previous menu removal.

* Armor Group One renamed to just Armor
WHY: There's no group two, so the name is redundant.

* Moved the Sledwagon and it's 'loading' recipes under Lumber menu.
WHY: There's exactly enough space in lumber, and frees up space under Utility. Appropriate place because it's mainly about moving logs and tree trunks.

* Moved bark clothing to Clothing menu.
WHY: free up more space in bark menu, hoping to combine bark & clay

* Moved Clean Bandage from 'Mining and More' to Utility.
WHY: Obviously a more appropriate place for the recipe

* Moved Clean Fish from 'Mining and More' to Fishing.

* Moved Skin recipe back to Utility menu.
WHY: Arimon had moved it to hideworking because of space in Utility, which is no longer an issue.

* Moved Wooden Shovel, Wooden Cup, Wooden Bowl to Carpentry menu
WHY: More space in utility, fits nicely in Carpentry.

* Mining and More renamed to "Mining, Clay and Glue".  Recipes for digging clay, and for creating both types of glue (fish-skin, and pitch) moved from their particular menu to this one. Caulking could be moved here as well, but because it's currently only used by the Carpentry menu, its okay to leave it there for now, i think.
WHY: Few reasons. Most importantly, allows the combination of Earthenware and Barkware into a single menu, freeing up yet another space for a menu. Second, the fact that there were two types of interchangeable glues under the barkware and bowying menus confused at least me when I first started using the mod.

* Combined Earthenware and Barkware into "Earthen/Barkware" menu.
WHY: More space for more menus

* Armor menu letter changed from I to 'A', since barkware no longer using it.

* Cloth garments menu changed from J to G, since Weaving menu removed in 3.7x by Arimon

* Moved completed bows from Bowying to Weapons. Combined intermediate bow steps with the Fletching menu, now 'Fletching and Bowying'.
WHY: Number one, to eliminate another menu. Number two, I think it's elegant to have all final weapons under the Weapons menu. Number three, Bowstring cannot be moved from the Weapons menu, and it was awkward having that separate from everything else to do with bows.

* Renamed Cask-style tub, Keg-style tub, and barrel-style tub to Cask, Keg, and Barrel. Added [noquality] to caulking, firewood, and pot ingredients. Made the output [noquality] as well.
Why: I strongly prefer "Keg of Milk" to "keg-style tub of milk" in my menus. I'm aware that this could limit future recipes that call for *tub, but there's no recipe
that you're going to want to use a valuable cask/keg/barrel for, when you could use a (relatively cheap) wooden tub. Caulking and firewood can't have a quality, so its quality should not impact the final product. Pot can have quality, but there's no reason the quality of your pot used to hold the caulking should affect the barrel quality. I don't produce these things to sell them, but rather to store things. So, I don't want them named "Fine barrel of X", next to "barrel of X". Easy to change, though, if you want to make your living as a barrel carpenter, just remove the [noquality]

* Skill used for Earthenware changed from WEATHERLORE to COMMON, because Weatherlore has nothing to do with the skills. However, increased crafting bonus by 30%, in order to account for this change. I could easily be persuaded to make this the new TEXTILECRAFT instead, since both are fine motor skills.

SMALLER RECIPE CHANGES
Note: wherever it says I 'removed' a recipe, I just commented it out.

---------------diy_BAC_Carpentry changes
* "Simple Wooden Tub" made 'no quality', renamed to just "Wooden Tub", because it has the exact same qualities as a base wooden tub.

* removed "Caulked wooden tub". It was just a harder-to-make wooden tub, with no real advantages (only difference is its value is 2 instead of 1)

* Added [noquality] to branches ingredient for furniture section, since branches don't have quality.

* Combine wooden figurine/set for gaming into one step, because there is no need for taking up two slots for steps always done together.

---------------diy_BAC_tying_equipment
* String renamed to 'refined cord' so that it works for *cord recipes.

* Added Refine A Cord recipe, which requires a comb, and potentially increases the quality of a given Cord, with some loss of material.

THINGS I'VE CONSIDERED BUT NOT DONE
* Move bark bandage to Utility items

Tinker

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2022, 03:35:07 PM »
I do not have time to test this week, but noted that you claim no recipes use tubs, the rain water collection recipes do.

rudy

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2022, 04:02:03 PM »
I do not have time to test this week, but noted that you claim no recipes use tubs, the rain water collection recipes do.

I wasn't aware of this recipe (there's only one in the files), because it's disabled by default in the latest version.

However, it uses *barrel-style* in its recipe, not *tub, requiring specifically a Barrel, not any tub.  So, this is easily fixed by changing *barrel-style* to Barrel, which I've now done.

Thanks for pointing this out!

rudy

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 02:55:55 AM »
Been working on this the last few days, with quite a number of new changes. The changelog below is in comparison with the version posted at the beginning of this thread, still, not my last version.

Future updates will have a changelog based on my previous version.

Lots of new menu changes, optimizations, fixes and tweaks to things. I have tested all the recipes I altered. I have NOT by any means tested every recipe in the mod. I plan to play for a while to hopefully test more of them out before updating this any more.

Check out the attached images for an idea, or read the list of changes below for more detail.

Spoiler: "Changelog 3.72b-R2" • show

FIXES
* Commented out descriptive text added to Thin cordage in recipes; the item will not display properly when it has descriptive text. I have reported this bug. This applies to the armor menu, barkware, boneworking, earthenware, fletching, hideworking, toolmaking

* Changed recipe for Flax Linen Cloth to use Linen Yarn instead of Flax Yarn, to match the new weaving system.

* Northern Staff-Bow base item changed from Northern Spear to Northern Bow, so that it works with the new bow string system. Credit to Nydxz for for this simple but important fix, pointed out earlier in this thread.

* {Dip net} changed to {*Dip net*} in the recipe for scooping lake ore. This is not a perfectly satisfactory solution; under the new fishing rod system, the dip net becomes a "dip net with no hook". If you change its base item so that it's not a fishing rod, the name becomes just "dip net" again, but then it can't be used for fishing (as intended). Best of bad options, I think, is to live with the strange name. Thanks to Pr0man for bringing this to attention.

* Renamed "Birch Shortbow" recipe to just "Shortbow"
* Renamed "Tipped Arrow" recipe to just "Arrow"
* Renamed "Wooden Blunt Arrow" recipe to just "Blunt Arrow"
WHY: This is complicated, but a good reason. These three recipes show up under the vanilla Weapons menu. BAC aims to replace them with its own 'versions' of the recipes. It removes the vanilla recipes by commenting them out in diy_glossary. This is fine if you install the mod by overwriting. However, if you install the mod with the mod manager, the vanilla recipes are still there, in addition to the versions under Bowying and Fletching menus. By changing the new recipes to exactly match the names of the vanilla recipes, that guarantees that the vanilla ones will be 'overwritten', even if they are still in diy_glossary.  (This also applies to "Spruce quick-bow", but the BAC recipe already exactly matched the name of the vanilla recipe, and so was already overwritten.)

REMOVED ITEMS - Removed items are "commented out"; nothing was actually deleted from the files.
* Removed 'Woollen Garments' menu.  This duplicates items from Knitting menu, Knitting option more immersive, and more sensical, than "wool cloth".

* Removed 'Weave Wool Cloth' option from textilecraft. Was only used for Woollen garments menu, so useless with the removal of that redundant menu (see above)

* Removed "Caulked wooden tub" in Carpentry. It was just a harder to make wooden tub, with no real advantages (only difference is its value is 2 instead of 1)

* Removed 'tub' chain of recipes in Lumber. These cluttered up the menu, and are supersceded by the containers made with the Carpentry menu. These are also too easy to make for things that store liquids, in any case.

* Removed bundle/unbundle branches in Lumber, as they just used up menu space in my eyes.

* Free ropes from raft recipe removed, mainly for space, but also because it's very unsatisfying to get the ropes back from a raft but the logs are destroyed.

MOVED RECIPES / COMBINED MENUS

* Moved the modded boat recipes (which are a lot of entries) into the criminally empty Fishing menu. Not the best fit, since that menu cannot be renamed, but a better fit than anything else would be. Added a note in the transport menu to look there.

* Moved the Sledwagon and it's 'loading' recipes into the Transport menu.
WHY: Frees up space under Utility for more miscellaneous recipes.

* Moved the peeling and trimming of bark to the Lumber menu.
WHY: Space optimization, and oppropriate since it uses fallen trunks.

* Moved Clean Bandage from 'Mining and More' to Utility.

* Moved Bark Bandage to Utility
WHY: So all three bandage recipes are together.

* Moved Clean Fish from 'Mining and More' to Fishing.

* Moved Skin recipe back to Utility menu.
WHY: Arimon had moved it to hideworking because of space in Utility, which is no longer an issue.

* Moved Wooden Shovel, Wooden Cup, Wooden Bowl to Carpentry menu
WHY: More space in utility, fits nicely in Carpentry.

* Mining and More renamed to "Mining & Iron". Initial smelting steps for iron (including charcoal) moved here.
WHY: Frees up space in the Metalworking menu for more options there in the future, perhaps. Balanced out the spaces used in the two menus.

* Glue recipes moved to Utility.
WHY: The fact that there were two types of interchangeable glues under the barkware and bowying menus confused at least me when I first started using the mod.

* Moved completed bows (final step) from Bowying to Weapons. Combined intermediate bow steps with the Fletching menu, now 'Fletching and Bowying'.
WHY: Number one, to eliminate another menu. Number two, I think it's elegant to have all final weapons under the Weapons menu. Number three, Bowstring cannot be moved from the Weapons menu (it's a vanilla recipe without an entry in diy_glossary), and it was awkward having that separate from everything else to do with bows.

* Combined Boneworking and Hideworking into "Hide and Bone" submenu
WHY: More spaces for menus

* Moved bark clothing (excluding Headdress and necklace - the decorative items) to Armors of Iron and Wood
WHY: free up more space in bark menu, hoping to combine bark & clay. Now ALL clothing items are broken into Clothing (Nettle & Cloth), Armors of Leather and Fur, Armors of Iron and Wood (Iron, wood, bark)

* Combined Earthenware and Barkware into "Earthen/Barkware" menu.
WHY: More space for more menus

* Moved all the vanilla leather and fur armors OUT of the Clothing menu, to the new Armors of Leather and Fur (A) menu.
* Leather and fur armors moved OUT of the Armor Group One menu to the Armors of Leather and Fur Menu.
* A single item did not fit, so I moved Animal Headdress to Hide & Bone menu (it uses bones, and fits there well).
WHY: Now ALL Leather and Fur armors/coverings are in a single menu, more appropriately named than 'Clothing'  Also:

* Moved all nettle and cloth garments from the Cloth Garments menu to Clothing. Cloth Garments menu removed.

* Armor Group One renamed to Armors of Iron and Wood (I). Retains metal and wood armors/shields.

* Moved the fibre recipes under Barkware into Tying Equipment. With the fact that most *fibre* recipes have been replaced with various forms of cordage, the only use for these fibres (I'm pretty sure) is making cords from the Tying Equipment menus. Thus, it's natural to group them together.

* Moved Everything from the knitting menu that's not the clothing items (e.g. Shearing, Carding, spinning wool) to the Textilecraft menu.

* Moved Caulking to Utility menu, to be with the glues.
WHY: One more space in Carpentry (otherwise 100% full), and it naturally follows from the glue recipes.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT CHANGES
* Reorganized the way that alternate files work to make it more clear to users.

* Renamed several files to match new menus.

* Moved Obsolete files into separate folder (rather than delete them)

* All Knitting recipes use TEXTILECRAFT now (most had no associated skill before).

* Skill used for Earthenware changed from WEATHERLORE to COMMON, because Weatherlore has nothing to do with the skills. However, increased crafting bonus by 30%, in order to account for this change. MAY CHANGE IT AGAIN TO TEXTILECRAFT, since they both reflect fine manual skill.

OTHER MENU RENAMING
* Armor menu letter changed from I to 'A', since barkware no longer using it.
* Metalworking renamed to Smithing. Mainly so it matches the letter (S), and because it is now only smithing.

NEW ITEMS
* Added Refine A Cord recipe under Tying, which requires a comb, and potentially increases the quality of a given Cord, with some loss of material.

SMALLER RECIPE CHANGES
* Spin Yarn under Knitting menu renamed to Spin Wool Yarn. The vanilla Spin Yarn option cannot handle wool yarn, and this is to distinguish it.

* Removed the '+furs' added to the fur ingredient in new fur armors, making them in line with the vanilla fur armors. It caused it to display as (e.g.) "1 lb of fur furs". No impact on actual use of recipe.

* Recover tarp from punt now requires a tarp-weave punt. Under the old recipe, it would allow a 'cheat' where you could create infinite tarps. Under the new recipe, it has the downside of destroying the punt, but if you're recovering a tarp from the punt, then that probably means you don't want the punt anymore.

* Added "false ingredients" for ore-scooping actions, in order to make it clearer how they are meant to function to players. e.g.
{-} [optional] '+You need to be zoomed out,'
{-} [optional] '+in a mire, by a mountain.'
{-} [optional] '+For most immersive play, do'
{-} [optional] '+not use on frozen ground.'

---------------diy_BAC_Carpentry changes

* "Simple Wooden Tub" made 'no quality', renamed to just "Wooden Tub", because it has the exact same qualities as a base wooden tub.

* Renamed Cask-style tub, Keg-style tub, and barrel-style tub to Cask, Keg, and Barrel. Changed the (disabled by default) Rainwater collector recipe to require 'Barrel' instead of '*barrel-style*'
WHY: I strongly prefer seeing "Keg of Milk" to "keg-style tub of milk" in my menus. I'm aware that this could limit future recipes that call for *tub, but there's no recipe
that you're going to want to use a valuable cask/keg/barrel for, when you could use a (relatively cheap) wooden tub.

* Added [noquality] to caulking, firewood, and pot ingredients for Casks, Kegs, and Barrels. Made the output [noquality] as well.
WHY: Caulking and firewood can't have a quality, so its quality should not impact the final product. Pot can have quality, but there's no reason the quality of your pot used to hold the caulking should affect the barrel quality. As for the output quality, I don't produce these things to sell them, but rather to store things. So, I don't want them named "Fine barrel of X", next to "barrel of X". They don't stack, then, if nothing else. Easy to change, though, if you want to make your living as a barrel carpenter, just remove the [noquality] from the first line of the recipes.

* Added [noquality] to branches ingredient for furniture section, since branches don't have quality.

* Combine wooden figurine/set for gaming into one step, because there is no need for taking up two slots for steps always done together. Combined the times for each step into a total time.

---------------diy_BAC_tying_equipment
* String renamed to 'refined cord' so that it works for *cord recipes.

WHAT I WANT TO DO, BUT DON'T THINK I CAN
* Move vanilla Bowstring recipe from Weapons to Bowying. It's not included in the diy_glossary, so I don't think it can be moved/edited.

THINGS I'M PRETTY SURE I CAN DO, BUT HAVEN'T YET

* Gather bait recipe, under fishing, to get worms (e.g.) from thawed ground.
* Divide raw meat or fish into 'bait piece' recipes. Longer spoilage days?
* Add TEXTILECRAFT to woolen clothing? Probably.

Tinker

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2022, 03:18:14 PM »
Managed a quick look and half an hour test play.

The layout looks a lot tidier and more logical, I think there may be a few things missing though. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place which would not surprise me.

I miss repairing clothes but making new replacements is possible. I also miss the block pot chain, I often start with no metal tools and cooking with hot rocks in a wooden pot was always useful. Making clay pots is still an option but making radial boards with a stone axe seems to take about a week.

I also make life a little more complicated by needing glue to make arrows and several other recipes are tweaked to take longer or more inputs. I also need to add privateers chicken coop and beehives with honey and mead, but with so many menu slots free I can add my other recipes to a spare slot.

I will test further to see if I can find anything else.

anything