Topic: Cave Dwelling Question  (Read 4770 times)

rudy

« on: January 13, 2021, 04:56:00 PM »
Would I need to fill in this entire cave in order for it to act as an "interior"?

Buoidda

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »
no. add a door and a fireplace and you're good to smoke  8)

do not build on "surface of the earth" or you'll destroy the natural light near the entrance of the cave

rudy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 05:50:11 PM »
Thanks!

rudy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 06:33:37 PM »
Follow-Up Question:

Is building a floor/ceiling in a cave not supposed to have any visual effect? Because there's no visual change when I do so.

I've played many times, but this is my first time utilizing a cave...

Buoidda

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 07:03:25 PM »
Built ceiling/floor will illuminate the square so near the SotE square no change. Deeper the inside squares will be lit. I don't know if the actual graphic is different at all.

JP_Finn

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:02:39 PM »
Single tile gray graphic gets subdued into the cave floor. But building more adjoining ceiling&floor; will look different. Also, if built in the dark parts of the cave, they’ll get illuminated when looking at their direction.
You’ll need a torch (or campfire) to initiate the build in the dark, but once going: you can take a break, put out your torch, then facing the in-progress tile, select Make | Building | continue Paused process. (It might be an oversight/glitch, as if you’re not facing the in-progress tile and select the direction with NumPad number; that’ll fail prompting “pick a direction that you can see”)

One of my currently-on-hiatus characters builds his hideouts in caves. If/when he spots adventurers, robbers, Njerpez in the wilderness, he packs his belongings and moves on.
I think he has built in 5-6 caves. Returning to some occasionally. Some have been a single stay only.

rudy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 10:09:16 PM »
Single tile gray graphic gets subdued into the cave floor. But building more adjoining ceiling&floor; will look different.

I built a bunch, and the floor was still snow-covered...

JP_Finn

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 10:27:10 PM »
I don’t recall building on snowy cave floor. But I’m pretty sure if the ceiling&floor is built before snowing, the built part of the cave didn’t show snow. It’s been several IRL months though.

rudy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 10:29:33 PM »
Ok; I will wait and see what happens, then. Thank you.

Brygun

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 08:34:09 AM »
BAC has in the optional build files to put a lower cost floor-cieling in being more that you are making just a nice floor as you already have walls.

I will also warn that however you build your floor-cieling they are now coded as wood which will burn if you start a fire on them. Which can spread... (insert your imagination here)

You will still want a fireplace.

You need a floor-cieling for things like a sleeping spot or vanilla table as a workbench.

For on chracter there was a twist in the cave so I only blocked off a small area as the "house". This mean I could have the normal visibile-light area. I used a trap though now you could use a fence-gate (?) for a movement control point.

JP_Finn

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 12:29:40 AM »
Got busy with things yesterday...
I built in to a cave with faint dusting of snow outside and inside the cave. The Ceiling & Floor covered the snow as expected. Even paused construction covered the snow. This on OSX High Sierra.

'Varied cave floor' has paused construction in NW, finished construction in W, and unbuilt, snowy cave floor in SW

anything