Topic: Hills too much flora?  (Read 3794 times)

Felius

« on: November 23, 2020, 11:40:23 PM »
Is it just me, or hills seem to have become far too rich in terms of plants, including crop plants. My current playthrough, as owl tribe, I have foraged over 1500 barleys (not handful of grains, but the unthreshed plant) from random hills in a single autumn, and not even the only thing I focused upon.

Only reason why haven't gotten nearly as much Rye too is because most of those located in hills withered before ripening. And I did got about as many Nettles, as well as hundreds of nettles, peas, broad beams, turnips and other assorted plants.

So, really, in everyone's else's experiences are hills also that rich in useful flora? Does in autumn hills all but obsolete farming it for yourself, saving a lot of effort preparing the soil and planting? Sure, a single hill might not have it, but they are both highly common and highly visible, plus it takes a very short time to zoom in, check for plants and zoom back out to go to the next hill over (and they frequently spawn in a bit of a cluster).

For reference, this character is living a bit to the south of Driik territory, around the south-western corner of the map, and I've gathered from hills around me, as well as ones near a river that connects too the ocean about a day's walk/rowing to the east (raft there, spend a week or two collecting everything and dropping it in the raft when fully loaded, eventually go back home with a raft-full of goodies).

Galgana

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 06:27:03 AM »
Do you use the BAC modpack? The text file flora_BAC_cultivated makes agricultural plants spawn in the wild.
Hills are considered "clearings" according to the terrains list, so you can edit out that part of the plant data to nerf wild agriculture spawns.

Another method of reducing spawns for a particular plant is to reduce the integer assigned to the following attributes:
  • FREQUENCY: accounts for how many patches may occur in a tile
  • POPULATION: how many patches can grow beside each other at a particular part of the map
  • COMMONNESS: encounter rate as a percentage

Roheline

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »
In my experience it's just nettles and berries, though I have gathered hundreds of pounds of raspberries by searching hills before.

Felius

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 03:57:46 AM »
Do you use the BAC modpack? The text file flora_BAC_cultivated makes agricultural plants spawn in the wild.
Hills are considered "clearings" according to the terrains list, so you can edit out that part of the plant data to nerf wild agriculture spawns.

Another method of reducing spawns for a particular plant is to reduce the integer assigned to the following attributes:
  • FREQUENCY: accounts for how many patches may occur in a tile
  • POPULATION: how many patches can grow beside each other at a particular part of the map
  • COMMONNESS: encounter rate as a percentage
Yeah, I do, that might be it. Didn't realize it included flora aside from flax. Might have to remove these alterations from the pack.

JP_Finn

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 04:44:10 AM »
I find the hills don’t have enough trees growing on the sides and on the top.

(I’ve not encountered “wild barley” not “wild rye” ingame anywhere; as above, most likely from a mod)

Brygun

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 06:13:33 AM »
Hmmm didn't realize that was happening.

Tuukka was surprised to find some broad beans on a hill.

Though to be honest while we are used to modern day organized crops if a plant can grow in a region in a field it can probably grow wild too. Its more a matter that these plants are either native or have been around for generations that random appearances are possible. Dropped by birds, dropped out of pouch, blown by wind, ritual planting and other reasons could see a stray clump that itself in a few years has nearby growths.

The population density of iron age can also play into this. If we in the real world had one family with access to a hundred acres of wild forest you probably could harvest a surplus without having to do much formal agriculture.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »
Human cultivation of plants have changed the plants to be more productive, but at the cost of requiring more baby sitting in the form of weeding and supply of nutrients (in the UrW setting the nutrients are provided by the ash from the previous plant cover), resulting in them not being particularly competitive in the wild.

Sure, you can gather a lot of stuff from the forest, but it won't be any of the cultivated plants.

Brygun

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 10:13:32 PM »
I checked into the BAC files and in the flora_BAC_cultivated there is this;

>>>>

// BAC integragion
//
// ceathan self sufficiency mod elements adjust vanilla plants
// to occur in wild areas
// "Looks like somebody pulled both of them from my
// self-sufficiency mod.  flora_cultivated.txt isn't just
// vanilla --- I added some code to make cultivated plants spawn
// randomly in low quantities in the wild (in groves and grassy
// areas)." - caethan

So yes BAC is adding small amounts of cultivated plants into the wild. Small as in small quantity each time. It would be possible to do a lot of hiking to gather a lot.

I haven't poked at plant codes in perhaps ever so tweaking them out or removing the flora_BAC_cultivated is "at your own risk". It >might< be simply a matter of taking that file out of the game directory. Existing plants probably would still be on the map but Im not sure about that.

There is also the flora_BAC_flax needed for the flax.

anything