Topic: Going nuts!  (Read 5058 times)

Jackdaw

« on: November 17, 2020, 01:22:42 AM »
I know I'm not hugely active here on the forums, but I thought it might be worth suggesting a new forage food item: european hazelnuts (Corylus avellana). This species grows wild in southernmost Finland and might be unique to southern territories in the game map (Driik, Reemi, etc.) and provide another option when foraging in the forest.

These can be shelled and then eaten raw or roasted, or maybe added as an additional ingredient for porridge and other existing recipes in the game. They might also be useful as an alternate bait item for small game that are attracted to these nuts in the wild (squirrels and birds especially).

Huge fan of UrW, excited to keep playing and following its development!  ;D

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 10:12:09 PM »
There could be more trees indeed, and we’re expanding that sector of the game at some point. However, I believe we’ll see a bit more common tree species to be added first.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

redfish

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 12:52:43 AM »
Seasonal harvesting of trees would open up a lot of other options for the game, because its more complex than the herbs we have in the game right now. Right now, the herbs grow to maturity, they have a single product, and you collect the ripened product.

But for things like fruit trees, berry trees, and nut trees, you have several stages where you can harvest a different product. The tree will first grow flowers, and then the flowers will later develop into the ripened fruit, berry or nut. Often the flowers are just as usable as the ripened product, and can be made into things like teas, syrups, and liquors. Besides which, the flowers would make the game prettier and would be a sign of spring.

A long time ago, when I did the herb tile sprites, one of my main interests was bog-myrtle. Its not a tree but grows as a bush; and that goes through stages of development through the year from flowers, to nuts, to fruit, and all of these are usable. So, ideally, you'd want to be able to harvest the flowers in one season, the nuts in another, and the ripe fruits in another. And then you have something similar with roses, too, where you can harvest the flowers for the rose petals to use those in cooking, or wait until the rosehip matures and use the fruit.

Anyway, something like hazelnut is also appealing, even if it will be a less common tree in the game; because something that makes the game enjoyable over a long term is going on long trips hunting down rarer items, either for your own use as a player or for trade purposes. I could collect a bunch of hazelnuts down south and venture up north to trade with villagers who wouldn't normally have access to them.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 11:23:03 PM »
Crab apple (malus sylvestris) is native to the southern coast of Finland, it would make a nice addition to the turnip heavy diet  :D