Topic: Change criteria for waking up due to cold to only happen when worse  (Read 4887 times)

PALU

« on: November 02, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »
I had a character that was freezing to death, desperately trying and failing to light a fire while dead tired. Eventually the fire got going (despite repeated interrupts due to confusion), and I could finally let my character rest. However, each time the cold condition IMPROVED to a less serious cold condition the character woke up due to the cold with the fire still burning. This should only happen when conditions worsen, not when they're improving, i.e. the the game should take the previous state into consideration when determining whether the character wakes up or not.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 05:53:42 PM »
I’ll be checking out how this sort of waking up is coded. I believe this isn’t something that you run into very often, but if it can be easily and reliably remedied we’ll do it. For the atmosphere I personally wouldn’t mind that seriously cold character sleeps bad even though the things are slowly going to warmer direction.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

PALU

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 07:41:00 PM »
I certainly doesn't have a problem with trouble sleeping when very cold once the dead tired state has been taken care of, but I'd rather have a different message.

It can be noted that you'd get the same thing from freezing cold, which happens whenever you try to enter water that's too cold (or after 50 turns or so if you enter water that's chilly for some swim training).

anything