Topic: Graphical representation of known people.  (Read 5168 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« on: May 27, 2020, 05:37:11 PM »
When someone gets aggressive, we see the red “ “ above them.
What I’d like to see is green, blue, orange or yellow “ “ or * or ! or ? on them

But more specific, if an unknown/not yet introduced villager has a quest, or has something to tell or suggest to the character, have them display e.g. yellow ! Or ?

If that character was known to the character, display the icon in blue and if friendly, in green.

It’d also be nice if known NPCs were similarly identified, so character wouldn’t need to manually look at them, just to see if they’re known, or if that’s the NPC quest giver or not.

Characters* / icons, colors all open.

*a-z, “!? and so on

PALU

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »
I agree with the suggestion of allowing you to see at a glance if NPC's are known by name or not, and I'd also welcome an indication telling me if I've spoken to a character this day (or visit, if that's easier to manage). Both of these are things the PC should know without actively squinting (or whatever 'l'ook would correspond to). However, the modern RPG "new conversation" convention doesn't fit well the style UrW has, although I certainly wouldn't mind a "Hey, you, I want to talk to you! (basically indicating the NPC gesturing or shouting)" indication on characters who currently actively seek out the PC (such as the "I'd like to have your nice knife/arrows" case, initial robber contact, and "Hey, you'd better pay before you leave"), but the ones where you have to seek them out (e.g. bird thief) you shouldn't get any indication.

An indication on known NPCs known to be involved in the current quest would also fit the pattern of showing what the PC knows at a glance.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 05:43:01 AM »
Good point on the quest spawned NPC needing still to be found. As the 2nd character in bird thief, well, doesn’t need anything from the player, at least not up front, vice versa.

koteko

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 12:47:31 PM »
Yes, it would be useful.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 06:00:56 PM »
When someone gets aggressive, we see the red “ “ above them.
What I’d like to see is green, blue, orange or yellow “ “ or * or ! or ? on them

But more specific, if an unknown/not yet introduced villager has a quest, or has something to tell or suggest to the character, have them display e.g. yellow ! Or ?

If that character was known to the character, display the icon in blue and if friendly, in green.

It’d also be nice if known NPCs were similarly identified, so character wouldn’t need to manually look at them, just to see if they’re known, or if that’s the NPC quest giver or not.

Characters* / icons, colors all open.

*a-z, “!? and so on

In my books having the unknown quest carriers marked is far too gamey. We see it in many games, but won't likely see in UnReal World.
When it comes to known NPCs, eg. quest givers, having some markers could be a thing to consider. The game world, and concept, is designed so that much has to be found by yourself, so marker additions need some consideration in order not to spoil things in advance.
- Sami | UnReal World creator