Topic: [Fixed - persists in 3.62] Ice breaks when I drop something, but I don't fall ..  (Read 3453 times)

Mata Hari

« on: March 25, 2020, 09:33:24 PM »
In Version 3.62, I went fishing on a freshly frozen lake. I could not walk there on the wilderness map, but was allowed to crawl. The ice was not so thick, it took 6 minutes to make a hole with a javelin. It also made a cracking sound when I got up and walked on the ice.
So what happened was that at some point, i dropped a pike on the ice. The game made a splashing sound and rendered a water hole graphic below my character. The strange thing was that I was still standing. I only fell into the water (same tile) when I tried to walk away. On a second occasion, the same thing  happened when I dropped some branches on the ice. That time, I did not walk away. Instead, I went prone again and in that case the game allowed me to get to the next tile without getting wet and cold at all.
I am not entirely sure why the ice can support a 80kg person standing on it while breaking when I drop some weight I was carrying all along, but maybe this is intended. But once the ice breaks, the player character's status needs to be updated before the next turn. This should be straightforward to reproduce, but I can happily provide a savegame if needed. 8) Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:45:15 AM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 12:27:32 PM »
I'll check. I guess it would be faster for me if you would provide savegame, so feel free to send it over.

We'll see if a new idiom will arise. "The last pike that broke the thin ice."  :D
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:50:40 AM »
The case to fix here was the character not falling into the water if the ice gets broken from under him after items are dropped.

The ice in question is so thin that the character would fall in there sooner or later if he just kept walking around.  Dropping items also didn't break the ice every time, as didn't
the walking, so that gave a false impression that something was wrong with the calculations. But there wasn't. There's just some fuzzy logic and margin to ice breakage to
make it more unpredictable and realistic.

Fixed - persists in 3.62.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Mata Hari

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:30:15 PM »
Aha! Thank you for looking into it and teaching us something about the ice mechanics along the way  :)