Topic: [not a bug] Trading doesnt work properly 3.52  (Read 5575 times)

Zed McJack

« on: September 18, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »
URW 3.52 Windows 8.1

Scenario Hurt, helpless

Started close to a village and while starving started trading torches for food and spoted error.
I used to trade 7 torches for 1 dried brem (or lavaret? cant remember), it worked nicely untill I had a piece (0.2) of lavaret left and when I traded next turn of torches I remained with 0.2 lavarets after "successful" trade but without torches.

I can supply a save after trade
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:16:58 PM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 03:13:08 PM »
Hmm. I'm having hard time to follow what happened. If you could explain in ask much detail as possible that would be nice. I'm especially puzzled that at some point you "had 0.2 lavaret left". Did you first trade for the lavaret, and then ate I, and some was left and you continued..to do what..next turn of torches? Or did you ate the lavaret before, and then started to trade?

It's also fairly impossible to cover things later on from a save.

But I think crucial information is if you did eat the villager fish before starting to trade?
Or, if you can remember how it happened, try to reproduce it in the same village and see if it happens again.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

PALU

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »
Trading generally works such that you pick up the goods you want to buy and then try to trade for it. I'm not sure what happens if you eat the fish you hadn't paid for yet, but I assume that if the very next action would be to offer to pay for it they may well accept it without grumbling, so you ate most of the fish, paid your dept, and was left without dept and the remaining piece of fish (which generally is the same scenario Sami drew up).

You can also buy things carried in someone else's inventory, and I wouldn't be surprised of a starving character stuffing himself with a picked up fish and then trying to buy another one from the inventory of a character might just clear the dept rather than having to pay twice the payment, i.e. both for the fish eaten and the new one to buy, making a transaction that clears the dept but looks like a buy of a new one without being it.
Both cases are speculations, of course.

Zed McJack

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 03:42:31 PM »
Ok, let me say it again.

I was starving about 30% and went to village to trade torches for food.
I made about 10 torches and after negotiating for one dried lavaret found that they will sell it for 7 torches.
I ate fish completely and made another batch of torches and traded again with same ratio.
Again I ate fish, but this time I was left with 0.2 lavarets.
Made another batch of torches and traded for another dried lavaret and when I checked I had just 0.2 dried lavarets but no torches.
I made another batch and trade but the result was the same, no torches and still 0.2 lavarets

Thats it

Zed McJack

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
Trading generally works such that you pick up the goods you want to buy and then try to trade for it. I'm not sure what happens if you eat the fish you hadn't paid for yet, but I assume that if the very next action would be to offer to pay for it they may well accept it without grumbling, so you ate most of the fish, paid your dept, and was left without dept and the remaining piece of fish (which generally is the same scenario Sami drew up).

You can also buy things carried in someone else's inventory, and I wouldn't be surprised of a starving character stuffing himself with a picked up fish and then trying to buy another one from the inventory of a character might just clear the dept rather than having to pay twice the payment, i.e. both for the fish eaten and the new one to buy, making a transaction that clears the dept but looks like a buy of a new one without being it.
Both cases are speculations, of course.

I didnt eat the fish before I paid, but the only unusual thing that happened was that in one of the transactions I tried to make 5 more torches while I held unpaid fish and they complained so I canceled the work and dropped the fish before making another batch. Maybe that was the culprit?

Zed McJack

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
duh, Its not bug but my error, sorry

I tried again and of course Ive got another bream of 0.2 becouse thats their weight
I must have seen their total wight and thouth its a weight of single unit.

Sorry to bother you

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »
duh, Its not bug but my error, sorry

I tried again and of course Ive got another bream of 0.2 becouse thats their weight
I must have seen their total wight and thouth its a weight of single unit.

Sorry to bother you

Okay, good! No harm done, thanks for re-thinking and checking and posting. Case closed.
- Sami | UnReal World creator