Topic: Version 3.60 beta [for Windows] released on Steam, and for Lifetime members  (Read 14228 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: September 15, 2019, 06:46:48 PM »
Version 3.60 beta [for Windows] is now available on Steam as beta-branch you can opt-into at will.
Lifetime members can find the beta version at the designated forum section.

This first beta is available only for Windows at this point. Other platforms will follow in-time. We're sorry for the prolonged waiting time, but couldn't help it, and really needed to start 3.60 betas rolling.

And they get rolling from now on. Things are fairly stable already, but our to-do list is still not completed. So bear in mind that many of the features now available will be polished even further in patches to follow as we stride towards the stable tag.

Key features of version 3.60

The key features of version 3.60 version deal with NPCs, companions, domestic animals, village properties, and crafting additions. The list of additions and fixes is long and you can find the changelog here.

One of the most awaited additions is wandering NPCs now actively hunting animals on detailed map level. This opens up possibilities for numerous exciting incidents to take place as the woods with hunters and their game now becomes far more alive and complex than before.

Screenshot from version 3.60beta. The player character has followed an elk, freezing and starving. He bumps into a scene never witnessed before.
There's a pile of elk bones, raw elk meat and few arrows. And an adventurer, who has apparently downed that elk, now carrying it's winter fur and some cuts he had already roasted.
This is just one example of scenes which could have been witnessed by player character, turn by turn, from the start of the hunt to very act of utilizing the carcass.

Who can have it?

You can have it, but you gotta get it from Steam. Standalone versions of 3.60 will follow after significantly longer time than what we have gotten used to in the past. This is because during past years donations have dried out disallowing solely donation-based development to thrive. Donations are still an option, people do it for a reason or another, but your generosity isn't any longer linked to the great perk of most up-to-date version being freely available for everyone. I'll be happy to answer possibly puzzled questions of relatively recent of near-future intending donors, so don't hesitate to eg. e-mail me if you feel like it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers, have fun, and let's keep our fingers crossed for the possible beta bugs being minor and scarce. But whatever their size and annoyance level may be, we've got our bows prepared for shooting them down.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:44:35 PM by Sami »
- Sami | UnReal World creator

ANickel

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 03:38:27 AM »
Sorry to hear about the money issues, it is understandable why the Steam version is being prioritized in this instance.
Perhaps more press coverage is needed to boost sales again, I know that the initial Steam release helped a lot in that instance.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 06:32:04 PM »
Sorry to hear about the money issues, it is understandable why the Steam version is being prioritized in this instance.
Perhaps more press coverage is needed to boost sales again, I know that the initial Steam release helped a lot in that instance.

Steam sales are steady, so it's not that. It's just that donation-based development and free-of-charge distribution can't exist without donations.
I guess the donation-based idea, despite of all the information and versions available, has gradually gotten overlooked and mistakenly turned into "free game" thinking.
All is fine, development continues.

Digheld

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
Sorry if this is off-topic slightly, but speaking of steam sales did you know that Mandalore is going to make a video on UrW? Hopefully that'll bring lots of new people to the game, as he is probably the most popular YouTuber to ever make a video on the game.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 11:22:23 AM »
Sorry if this is off-topic slightly, but speaking of steam sales did you know that Mandalore is going to make a video on UrW? Hopefully that'll bring lots of new people to the game, as he is probably the most popular YouTuber to ever make a video on the game.

I didn't know how about this. Has he announced it somewhere?
Let's plays are always a nice way to draw attention into the far north. Awaiting for the episode.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:21:19 PM »
UPDATE: Sep-17-2019 | 14:00 UTC+2.
3.60 (beta) hotfix 1 released. If you're on beta-branch on Steam your game will auto-update. For lifetimers the hotfix is also available.

Following issues were fixed:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- added: peeling bark from village trees is considered a breach and not allowed

- added: building at the village area is considered a breach and not allowed

- fixed: villagers didn't mind using their lumber for building something

- fixed: villagers didn't mind utilizing their logs with timbercraft options

- fixed: wrong properties of player crafted clothes made of other materials than leather and fur

Mixed corrupted values, from coverage aspects to weight, could end up in eg. player crafted birch-bark clothes, possibly affecting modded clothes to appear wonky as well. This also resulted in clothes wearing out too soon if the weight property was one of the corrupted values.

- fixed: player crafted fur and leather cloth weights calculated wrong

Finished cloth weights were based on actual material usage, which didn't follow the intended addition of material requirements always slightly exceeding the finished cloth weight.

- fixed: birch-bark ropes occasionally losing their rope status, and not working as one

- fixed: birch-bark worked as cloth material, allowing making of bandages for example
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digheld

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 04:07:45 PM »

I didn't know how about this. Has he announced it somewhere?
Let's plays are always a nice way to draw attention into the far north. Awaiting for the episode.

His list of games to review says it's recording right now.

He mentions in his latest video how it's a game from finland, and he has confirmed it on other places but I can't find it right now. You could probably email him and ask about it, I dont know.

He has a very large audience, and they tend to try the games he reviews - so it's bound to give UrW a lot of well deserved attention, I look forward to it.

Acolyte

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 06:27:22 AM »
Ahh.. This appears to be the cause of the bug I just recorded, thanks!

- Shane

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 12:51:35 PM »
I really love the release! Unfortunately i've found a bug

That's very fortunate actually, since bugs are something we don't want in there. :)

When you use a 15 feet cord to make arrows, it doesn't deplete at all

Sorry if I did report it in the incorrect way, just couldn't find a proper forum

We have "Bug reports" section right here at the forums.
I'll cut and move your post there. Thanks for the report, and solving it also.

Thanks for your work!!

Edit: I think i've found the bug, check the arrow and the blunt arrow recipe

.Arrow. [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed]     *CARPENTRY*        /30/    [patch:5]
{Branch}      [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]
{Knife}
{Feather} (3) [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]
{Cord} =1=    [patchwise]
{Rock}        [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]

.Blunt arrow. [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed]  *CARPENTRY*       /45/    [patch:5]
{Branch}      [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]
{Feather} (3) [remove] [patchwise] [noquality]
{Cord} =1=    [remove] [patchwise]
{Knife}

I think the "remove" command needs to be added on the arrow recipe. Did that and now my cord depletes acordingly

Indeed. There's [remove] missing. Thanks.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 05:57:41 PM »
UPDATE: Sep-18-2019 | 17:48 UTC+2.
3.60 (beta) hotfix 2 released. If you're on beta-branch on Steam your game will auto-update. For lifetimers the hotfix is also available.

- fixed: villagers accepted stale food in trading

- fixed: crafting regular arrow didn't remove the cord(s) used

- fixed: smoking/drying meat asking number of cords to use although they were correctly selected lengthwise

- fixed: animals leashed with birch-bark ropes couldn't be unleashed

ModernNorseman

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 10:45:12 PM »
Hey Sami,

When do you expect the update to come to Mac? :) Or is it too early to predict?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »
Hey Sami,

I'd expect OS X and Linux versions be ready in 1-2 weeks, but it depends somewhat on other people than only myself so I this is an educated guess.
Trying to do what I can do to make it happen sooner than later.

ModernNorseman

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 04:23:28 PM »
Hey Sami,

I'd expect OS X and Linux versions be ready in 1-2 weeks, but it depends somewhat on other people than only myself so I this is an educated guess.
Trying to do what I can do to make it happen sooner than later.

Sounds good, thank you very much for the update! :)

Acolyte

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 06:37:33 AM »
I gotta say, I've been playing around with the new build and it's fantastic!

Thank you Sami!

Now I wonder what's next.... Well next is fixing the relatively few bugs that got introduced, of course, but after. It's very exciting to play a game that keeps getting better and better.

No pressure on that, BTW, I'm still exploring all the things you've added in - like the hunter who killed the wild boar I'd just spent considerable time tracking down!

"You hear a death rattle from the North East." Huh? Little further.... is that a dog? Yes it is! Little further..... is that a hunter? Yes it is! Oh....... Drat.  :)

- Shane

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 08:06:56 PM »
UPDATE: Sep-23-2019 | 19:50 UTC+2.
3.60 (beta) hotfix 3 released. If you're on beta-branch on Steam your game will auto-update. For lifetimers the hotfix is also available.

- changed: birch-bark strip "usage" bar display removed from the inventory

As the strip length is always visble this was redundant.

- changed: when using tying equipment as raw material the selected item is always used in full length

There's a notification displayed if length to be used is far more than required, so that you can cancel the task and shorten the tying equipment to desired lengths at will.

- fixed: tying equipment selections that were supposed to return after usage (eg. cookery, trap constructions) was broken in many ways

You didn't get back what you actually used, but sometimes more and sometimes less.

- fixed: shortening tying equipment didn't modify their weight

- fixed: tying equipment stacking issues

- fixed: joining tying equipment to exceed length of 255 feet

Maximum tying equipment length is 255 feet. Joining operations that exceed the maximum length are now forbidden.