Topic: Dog releases itself?  (Read 3511 times)

Saiko Kila

« on: February 11, 2019, 03:27:33 PM »
I don't know if it is a bug, but I don't remember reading about it as a feature. Maybe someone else also experiences it:
when the dogs are leashed to a tree, they sometimes release themselves. Then they come to the PC, who is busy in the vicinity.

My dogs are leashed to a tree near home base, to prevent them eating from the cellar or from items or carcasses temporarily dropped on the ground (usually when tanning). When I come I tie them to a tree, when I go exploring I take the ropes and dogs with them.

Sometimes (quite often recently), the dogs release themselves though, and come near. They can do it two ways: one is they are completely unleashed, and the ropes remain on the tree, without name markers. Second (rarer) is they behave as unleashed (come wherever they please) but the ropes remaining on the tree retain the markers (like "rope (barkster-80 leash)"), they can be collected and the dog the has to follow PC, though it may be necessary to zoom-out/zoom-in to get them teleported near.

If there are more than one, then not all of them release themselves, it may be that one remains, and two are released.

Anyone observed that? It happens to me mostly near the home cave, when they are tethered to a tree, not when away, in the distant lands.

EDIT: Upon further testing, it seems that when the dogs seemingly unleash (the rope in the tree doesn't show the name), they are often actually still remembered, and the unnamed rope when taken to PC's inventory automatically changes to to named rope (with dog's name), with no need to put it on leash.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 09:19:12 PM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 04:03:00 PM »
This is a bug. And I believe it's been remedied few times down the road, but not all the instances where it happens have been found out. It is rare thing, and for that reason a super hard to fix, as there hasn't been a single instance to reliable reproduce it. I believe it may have something to do with how the area is entered or left when character goes exploring and returns. All kind of details, or savegames where reproducing it could be tried, are welcome.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything