Topic: Where are animal populations the highest?  (Read 4649 times)

princebunnyboy

« on: June 20, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
I know with dynamic populations they are not spawned by traps anymore, that they also move during summer and winter.  I'm hunting near Driik in the no man's land because people have said that outside human activity, animal population is higher.

I'm just starting up as a nomad trapper and would like the best places to find animals, I've gone to Njerp territory many times with different characters and as soon as I stepped off the punt there was a bear, an elk, and a reindeer herd.
So,

• How far do you place the trap lines?
  • What region do you put them?
  • How far from human activity or human settlements?

Thanks everyone! :)

PALU

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:56:27 PM »
I've mostly made trap fences around single tile lakes, with 3 traps on each side. I also have a trap fence around my farm plots (with traps on each side).

My traps are placed reasonably close to my homestead, which I like to place by rapids (easy water access) just outside of the territory of the culture I want to associate with (partially because of the game courses, and partially because I like it).

I can't say much about game availability: it's never been an issue for any of my characters (surviving the beginning can be hard, but once that's taken care of I've never had any food problem).

princebunnyboy

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:26 PM »
I've mostly made trap fences around single tile lakes, with 3 traps on each side. I also have a trap fence around my farm plots (with traps on each side).

I remember doing this in past versions, are animals still "drawn" in by water? Or have they removed that?

Thanks for helping me out :)

PALU

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:46 PM »
In real life animals seek out water to drink, so I've just applied the same logic here (and I think it was based on forum suggestions), although I don't know if it actually "works".

Another popular choice is to cut off a an isthmus or the passage between two lakes or rivers, with a trap fence. The drawback is that the animals can just bypass it over the ice during winter (but they ought to go into the traps most of the time).