Topic: [not a bug] Tanning skin on a punt (and the vanishing of said skin)  (Read 5861 times)

paz

« on: June 02, 2018, 04:33:16 AM »
So I tried to be super smart and cleaned the skin in the river, then hopped on my raft, and tanned it there (the step with bark/fat). The idea was saving some time. Plan backfired though, cause my skin had vanished when I arrived at my shelter. (I don't know when/how it vanished, probably on loading the map.)

So ... it should probably be impossible to tan stuff while standing on a raft? Same bug might occur with cooking food while on a raft, but I haven't tested that.

Anyways, great game. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:57:57 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 11:48:43 AM »
Tanning takes time, which means you prepare the skin with fat, let the tanning act for a time (duration dependent on the size of the skin), with the skin lying on the ground. Now, if you tried that on a water craft, I wouldn't be surprised if the skin remained where placed in the geography, i.e. on the water, rather than on the craft, so you might want to return to that location to look for the skin (I'm not saying it will be there, only that it would be a logical place to look for it).
If you tried to do the same thing while cooking, the game should "fail" the cooking of the meal, as you're removing the pot from the heat source when you move the craft (unless the pot is left floating on the water).

paz

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
Ah, I did not think to check in the water, but your idea absolutely makes sense!

Regarding the food however, I think fire is only required at the time of starting the process. Which is probably a bug as well. I'm usually cooking with 3 twigs, standing on my cellar, and even pikes will be fine with the fire going out just a couple of minutes after starting the roasting.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:31:22 PM »
Ah, I did not think to check in the water, but your idea absolutely makes sense!

Regarding the food however, I think fire is only required at the time of starting the process. Which is probably a bug as well. I'm usually cooking with 3 twigs, standing on my cellar, and even pikes will be fine with the fire going out just a couple of minutes after starting the roasting.
The way cooking works is not a bug but a quirk of its implementation. If anything, using 3 twigs is an exploit of it (which I've done a fair bit before building a stove). Also, embers from stoves can be used for cooking for quite some time (and some recipes demand embers), and ashes from fires retain some heat even after they have burned out (don't start a fire in a new place and put your food on the ashes of an older one, as the food gets burnt). Thus, moving the food away while it's cooking would be a bad idea (if it was possible).

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
There could be more restrictions in regards to what is possible on raft/punt, but this is not a bug per se IF you managed to find the skin, so that it didn't really disappear?
A need to be on the solid ground is probably checked in only a very few crafting situations so many kind of crazy feats are possible in the punt.

- Sami | UnReal World creator

paz

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:28:45 AM »
I think PALU's theory makes a lot of sense. My fur might still be there. But I doubt that I would be able to find that place again, it's kind of far away now, and I didn't mark that spot.

I'll probably check when I have another raft again.