Topic: [not a bug] Can't plant sorrel  (Read 8633 times)

Bärentill

« on: July 25, 2017, 11:06:34 PM »
The planting of sorrel seems to be broken. Whenever I plant some sorrel seeds the seeds are consumed but the corresponding patch of sorrel doesn't appear.

I had this issue in version 3.40 two times with two different characters so far. I planted the sorrel seeds in late seedtime month like I did with my clayweed seeds. The clayweed did appear, the sorrel did not.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:48:33 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 11:20:48 PM »
There are some plants that seem to take time to appear above ground (yarrow being one). In addition to that, some have a color that blends perfectly with one kind of ground (yarrow again).

Bärentill

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:57:57 PM »
In earlier versions of the game you didn't even see the plants until they sprouted. But you could check the tiles with the herblore skill which indicates if there are (even unseen) plants around. In this case I did this, too. The plants weren't there.

Bärentill

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:54 AM »
Thank you. Due to your answer I decided to leave the patches alone and the plants did sprout about a week later then.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a bug though, since sorrel behaves differently from any other plant which is misleading and confusing. Before game version 3.40 all the planted patches remained visually empty first, so I think that this probably might be an older issue which wasn't obvious then. I guess it still wouldn't matter if there was no visual feedback for any other plant now. But now it does matter. I have nearly lost my sorrels plants, because I almost made the decision to replant the patches.

Maybe someone should rename the topic of this thread then.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »
Not any other crop. It seems there are two groups of crops, one of while appears immediately and one which follows the old behavior. Most or all of the "normal" agricultural crops appear immediately, while many or all of the "wild" ones seem to take their time showing up.

Bärentill

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
Sorry, I didn't explain it well. Even with the old behaviour it was possible to check the tiles with the herblore skill which indicates if there was a plant or not. For example, if you have planted broad beans you couldn't see them yet, but you could check with the herblore skill to see that there actually were some. This doesn't work with sorrel.

So, the bug is that the herblore skill doesn't work with newly planted sorrel and, thus, the herblore skill works inconsistently since it behaves differently for different plants. I wasn't aware of that (why should it behave differently?) and this led to my confusion and to this thread.

Bärentill

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
But I feel relieved to see that the bug isn't as serious as I thought at first. It is good to know that the sorrel plants do appear even when they aren't shown properly in the early stages of their growth. Thank you.

caius

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 05:03:49 PM »
Due to your answer I decided to leave the patches alone and the plants did sprout about a week later then.

It happens to me also.  If I remember (and I might be mistaken), I could use the herblore skill to look at "empty" patches and it would tell me sorrel was planted but if I used "x" to look at a plot, it wouldn't show the planted seeds.