Topic: Withering flowers in Fallow?  (Read 7967 times)

user1805

« on: May 01, 2018, 10:46:55 AM »
As i migrated my char to 3.5 stable i found there possibly was a bug:

I saw some withering flowers in Fallow month (Milkweed and Bear Pipe). It only was in some regions, in others they were just growing. Is this intended or some bug?

jhadred

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 11:50:21 PM »
I'm seeing the same thing.   I'm in Fallow and I see harvestable and withering:
Cloudberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Sorrel
Nettle
Goldenrod
Dog pipe
Milkweed

so far. 
This is happening in some tiles and not others.  In one road section they're growing and "will be harvestable in a month" and in the next road section they're wilting.

I do have a few modifications with a few cooking mods and some additions to the cooking and diy, but the character is here next to some harvestable nettles and close to some wilting milkweed.  3.5 stable character.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=20668342719774963679

**Update**
It appears that after it withers in Fallow, it becomes a non-withered harvestable plant of it's kind.
In the case of berry bushes / berries then if they had fruit and were wilting, they become non-wilting harvestable but if they had been picked while wilting, they become a normal "can be harvested after some amount of time"

I'm not accurately able to determine this, but it appears the plants that were harvested while wilting also spring back up as a "can be harvested after some amount of time" since I can now see some growing nettled yet harvestable non-wilting milkweed
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:55:25 AM by jhadred »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:01:20 PM »
Hmm.

user1805, did you migrate over several versions or from 3.40?

jhadred, I presume you also did migrate - but from which version?

I checked out jhadred's savegame and indeed it appears there are some plants withering that shouldn't be. These had their sprout and blossom datas a bit corrupt, but it's hard to say what might have caused that. However, the issue seems to trouble only certain areas that had been visited before. New areas get the plant generation going on just fine, and things sprout and wither as they should.

Something messed up some plant data at some areas around a year ago in character's life. But what was that is pretty impossible to find out.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

jhadred

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 04:12:20 AM »
Strange.  So I did from 3.5 beta 2.  I normally create a new character each version so I didn't realize I had.  Here's the same character from 3.5 beta 2 in the first winter of his life.  (A few in game months prior to finding the odd wilting).
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=56091755099589954728

I haven't actually played enough to get to a second winter with any character ever and I started playing in the past few years.  Actually didn't know it was possible to copy the client data from version to version until this 2018 year.

Edit:  I guess this means that someone can start a 3.5 stable to confirm it's not an issue.
Edit 2:  However, I'm guessing that this behavior could possibly have been what caused this post from April https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1173.0 though there was never a confirmation of time (season).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:31:32 AM by jhadred »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 10:43:07 AM »
Thanks for the follow-up, jhadred.

Checked this earlier save, passed time until the older date of bugged plants, and one occasion I managed to find these same plants withering - and on one occasion it didn' t happen. Something hasty is going on there, probably linked to at which time these areas are visited. Maybe there's narrow time window where plant growth routines fail in this particular areas. Probably very tricky to find the casue, but I'll keep experimenting more with the saves when time allows.

Edit 2:  However, I'm guessing that this behavior could possibly have been what caused this post from April https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1173.0 though there was never a confirmation of time (season).

I'm pretty sure this is plain normal thing, just the animals picking the berries.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:44:50 AM by Sami »

jhadred

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »
For the berries, what I had noticed in mine was:
Berry bush wilting in one section while still months away (still sprouting) in another during Fallow.
a few days later when wilting would normally kill off the plant (if in the fall) but being in Fallow -> berry bush normally harvestable (no longer wilting) but the other bushes were still growing.
But if I were to pick those (or if animals were to eat off them) then they wind up showing as picked despite other bushes being harvestable in 2 more months.

In essence, because of this odd plant growth, some of those berries are being picked before the time that they'd normally be ripe making a person think they were coming up as "picked" and missing the actual grow phase.

It's still a guess based on what I saw in mine and I didn't want to revive that thread vs this one.

jhadred

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:39:44 PM »
Oh, I think an example would be in the first uploaded save game.  If I recall correctly there was a harvested raspberry bush and a wilting rasperry bush.  The next section or so over, the bushes hadn't sprouted yet.  If time passes (and assuming animals don't eat the bush yet) then that bush will go from wilting (with fruit) to able to be picked while bushes in the next section are now "growing".

user1805

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
In the version 3.51 stable this case is still there. I did some screenshots. The migration of the character was probably not the reason for it. This thime the caracter started in 3.51 stable and is still there without any migration.

I also recognized it in/from fallow month when the character reached one year+ of age in the game. I see there around a selltement that Nettle, Burdock, Milkweed, Bilberry and even Lingonberry are ripe. Meanwhile in one area, east of a settlement where Lingonberry is ripe the milkweeds are ok and still growing. Also in a field the Beans, Rye and Barley are growing and ok. Its mixed.

user1805

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »
Unresolved in 361. Didnt see it in the list. Overlooked?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 06:43:51 PM »
Unresolved in 361. Didnt see it in the list. Overlooked?

The cause of the reported issues haven't been found. It's a rare occurrence and very tricky to track down as the related map usage/visits from the previous year seem to contribute to the issue.

user1805

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 06:07:11 PM »
Okey. For me it occurred since i mentioned it in that old post. The reason cannot be a migration as i started a new character in 361. PC is also new, Windows Version also; only to mention this. Is there any process known to get rid of that issue?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 07:19:37 PM »
Okey. For me it occurred since i mentioned it in that old post. The reason cannot be a migration as i started a new character in 361. PC is also new, Windows Version also; only to mention this. Is there any process known to get rid of that issue?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this, or to track its cause, so there's also no remedy I could speak of.
It's rare issue, so playstyle, harvesting style, map visit style all may affect. The more examples we may get of it, easier it's to find.

user1805

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 01:14:34 AM »
The only correllation i saw was, that it occurs in tiles which have been visited before. It does not occur in tiles which were discovered as new. If i should find some correlation else ill post it here.