Topic: Can i smoke meat on a village?  (Read 6098 times)

Fahom

« on: December 28, 2017, 01:38:06 PM »
I killed a reindeer, but i dont have a smokehouse of my own, if i use the village's sauna, will the food still be mine?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »
I've never done it but other people have, so that should work. I assume it's too warm to dry the meat (you can dry meat using a shelter, so it doesn't have to be a "real" building)?

Fahom

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »
I've never done it but other people have, so that should work. I assume it's too warm to dry the meat (you can dry meat using a shelter, so it doesn't have to be a "real" building)?

It is too cold to dry the meat... well, thank you, i'm going to smoke the meat.

caius

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 04:56:52 PM »
Yes, you can do it just fine.  Be cautious when picking up your completed meat as the AI seems to like to stack villager meat with the player.  For example, if you pick up a stack of smoked meat, there might be a smoked/dried/roasted fish or 5 in your stack that the villagers placed there. 

I didn't notice once and had villagers chasing after me to pay for meat I didn't know I took.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »

It is too cold to dry the meat... well, thank you, i'm going to smoke the meat.
It can't be too cold to dry meat, but it can be too warm. If the temperature is too cold for your character to stand outdoors to hang up the meat (it's can be difficult to get hold of socks and mittens) you can light a small fire beside you. As far as I've seen it will provide an acceptable temperature from the ashes/embers.
Also, if it's too cold to work outside the meat won't spoil, so you won't be in a great hurry to prepare it.