Topic: "Look around" feature / Global tile inventory  (Read 8016 times)

InCreator

« on: September 10, 2017, 08:09:18 AM »
We have similar feature for tracking where player scans a global tile for tracks. Why not global "look around" feature which auto-explores tile a bit, and reveals items found (like Sector Inventory in Jagged Alliance 1.13) so you could pick up all (or say, most) arrows you lost, gather stones for fireplace or whatever. Or make it simple to go to your home tile, and grab items you want to take with you without physically needing to look around for them in your shelter or cottage. Just add time cost to it and it'll make sense, without breaking anything in game.

Right now, need to walk to every twig and rock and press a key to get it feels just artificial way to spend endless time moving. And since you have to manually pathfind your character around in every mire and tile, it's just... tedious.

On a side note and extra suggestion, I would also like if UrW would finally give mouse cursor some use. Why not make it automatically "look" at whatever's under cursor if you're facing right way (unpaused, real time "look")? Eyes work all the time, not only when you need them to.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:11:52 AM by InCreator »

koteko

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »
I hope they don't :P how would you model the chance of meeting a Njerpez, or Bear/Lynx, while searching for your stuff/going home? They would have to simulate the movement, or just make it a "random encounter" event while in this special exploration state.. which IMHO removes too much "magic" from the game.

Your last suggestion is interesting. I often hoped that the mouse automatically did a "look" on changing position.

InCreator

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:01:01 AM »
I hope they don't :P how would you model the chance of meeting a Njerpez, or Bear/Lynx, while searching for your stuff/going home?

Exactly same way right now you encounter a hare or njerp!

Perhaps I wasn't clear: You're at global map. You press a key. Game says "You spend few minutes looking around...". And opens an inventory with stuff on that one global map tile. Rocks, twigs, dropped arrows, etc. So you can pick them up without entering local map. Might even be tied to "eyesight" skill, so the better eyes, the bigger chance to find everything. Encounters can happen still just as if you were sleeping or walking or looking for tracks (which is almost same thing right now) or whatever.

I didn't mean auto-exploration of multiple tiles on global map, though. It'd be way too automatic.

anything