Topic: [3.82] Possible timeloop from drying nettles  (Read 5286 times)

ModernNorseman

« on: November 12, 2023, 06:10:54 PM »
Okay, this is a weird one.

I play as an Islander. Before I go to Driik to I soak some nettles. I travel to Driik and spend perhaps 4-5 days there, traveling from village to village, checking out what they have for trade. I trade for some items, and on the last day I trade a harsh lynx fur for a masterwork broad knife. I travel back to the Islands area, and I believe i eat and sleep as it is late night. The day after, I go to my hidden stash and drop off some items. This is for example my fur shirt and fur leggings, as I have previously traded for new wool clothing items. I place the fur clothes and my old longbow without string on it in the stash. I thereafter go to my nettles to get them to drying. I cannot be completely sure, but after drying around 3800 nettles, it seemed like my entire inventory timelooped back to before I bought the masterwork broad knife. The earlier days where I bought wool clothes are still in my inventory at that point, so this is still in my inventory, but the masterwork broad knife is gone, along with alot of meat I picked up the same day, and the harsh lynx fur I used for the trade is back in my inventory.

I completely understand that this is doozy of a bug to debug, and I had to double check several times that I hadn't just imagined things, but I'm very sure something odd happened here. Let me know if you want me to send you the save game file (seems like it's too big to upload to this post).

« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 06:12:52 PM by ModernNorseman »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 12:40:25 PM »
It's indeed a very tricky to try to figure out what might have happened there, and savegame probably wouldn't help much either.
As you reckon the nettle drying might have been the turning point I'll just confirm if this happened after you had just set the nettles drying, or did you wait until they were actually dried and pickable - and then noticed the oddity?
- Sami | UnReal World creator

ModernNorseman

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 01:06:22 PM »
My best bet is that it happened as I performed the action to dry the nettles after they had been soaked. This only happened this one time, the several times since I did the same, nothing of the sort happened. If I had to bet, the time the weird timeloop happened it was a very big bunch of nettles I tried to dry. As I mentioned, probably around 4000 or so. Don't know if this could have some importance.

ModernNorseman

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 01:51:18 PM »
Come to think of it, perhaps 1 single other factor could be that the spot I set the nettles to dry, had about 250 pieces of meat being smoked on the exact same spot. Not sure if that could be part of it.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 07:07:05 PM »
Alright, thanks for these details. I guess the best way to get on track with this is to try drying such a big heap of nettles and follow the possible code oddities.
I'll see about that when time allows. However, there always might be underlying factors we don't know about.
Let's hope it was a rare occurence, but if something similar happens again feel free to keep us informed.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything