Topic: Telling villagers about companion's death in order to be able to hire again  (Read 6303 times)

paulkorotoon

« on: October 11, 2023, 02:36:24 PM »
So, I started playing UrW again after a while, and noticed lone Njerpez camps appear here and there. Obviously, I started hiring companions and wiping Njerps. Obviously, few of my party members have been killed.

And now that I'm back on the warpath again, in some villages adventurers decline my proposals saying "Not until we see X who left with you again".

In the long term, it's going to become impossible to hire new companions from settlements nearby. In the even longer term, it's gonna be impossible to hire at all.

So, I suggest adding some way of calming people. Let a player tell one of villagers that their fellow fell in a battle. Or maybe, let a player deliver a dead adventurer along with his weapons ang cloths first (it would be also a nice act of respect, I guess).
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 05:50:34 AM »
This suggestion ties in to one of mine about burial

I think it’d make sense for people to be wary about joining someone who gets their posse killed every time and not a person would be willing to join them. But if one companion gets killed and others make it back home, possibly with some wealth: it’d make sense for word to spread that “it’s risky, but might be worth it”

PALU

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 10:32:35 AM »
I think context should matter.

If you accept a quest to hunt down robbers and you lose companions in that quest, villagers shouldn't refuse to join up for other types of missions because you're an untrustworthy murderer, unless none of them survived (survivors ought to be implicitly assumed to be able to confirm of your story through rumors, even if you don't have them with you at the time you visit that village again).

If, however, you hired someone for a hunting trip or to help out on your homestead, you should have to have a lot of explaining to do to get anyone to risk it with you again (if a robber band attacked you in your homestead and you can prove that, the death of your hired help might be considered to be on the robbers, not you, but if you took your hired hand to hunt robbers, that's a different matter entirely). It would probably be difficult to implement the explanation bit for anything but the robber quest, though.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 11:43:38 AM »
Maybe spirits thing would resolve the context problem? Beside of bringing back to a village dead companion's posessions (along with or without his body), which is pretty self-explaining by itself (because why would you kill someone and not steal his stuff, just for fun?), let a player be forced to perform some ritual, so the spirits tell villagers what really happened.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Ezhe

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 11:48:45 PM »
Once being the only survivor after a brutal fight against a whole Njeperzit village, I carried my owl-tribe adventurer companion's dead body all the way back to his home in the far north. When I tried to give the body to his fellow villagers, they just said that it's something they didn't want to hold :-*. Of course, it's just the way how it's coded. But it still feels strange to see that they don't even know their own fellow villager. Wish that there could be more vivid interaction with NPCs in the future maybe.

Ezhe

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 12:04:29 AM »
Once being the only survivor after a brutal fight against a whole Njeperzit village, I carried my owl-tribe adventurer companion's dead body all the way back to his home in the far north. When I tried to give the body to his fellow villagers, they just said that it's something they didn't want to hold :-*. Of course, it's just the way how it's coded. But it still feels strange to see that they don't even know their own fellow villager. Wish that there could be more vivid interaction with NPCs in the future maybe.

Plus: Then I tried to stuff the body to the village oven, you know, to cremate that dead companion, but it turned out that it didn't work. Then I have no choie but to carry the body out of the village to a nearby woods and burn it.

I also tried once to bury a body during summer before. However, filling a pit you digged won't make things dropped on that tile get buried. There's no such a system.

As for ship burial, you couldn't make it either, because the boat won't go away with the fluss of water......

Since the dead person's fellow villagers do nothing with his body and there's no other good funeral method, the only way you can properly do with a body is to burn it simply on fire. And sure, you can also burn some objects as well to show respect if you want.

anything