Topic: Weather/Ice anomaly?  (Read 3199 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« on: August 14, 2023, 01:40:29 AM »
Temperature has been solid 4-5 weeks in the blue. Somehow in the last 3-4 days, the ice has got weaker.
Can't walk on ice to go put nets down (153lbs character, 43lbs clothing&kit + 3x 12lbs nets).

FWIW, returned from trapping trip few days ago, lakes were solid to cross then, with heavier (100lbs+) traveling load.

Save sent.

Erkka

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 09:02:57 PM »
I checked the code, twice, but couldn't find anything which would make the ice weaker while the temperature is below freezing.

But if it is early winter / early spring, then it is possible that the ice is only barely safe, and any marginally small change can make the ice unsafe. Like, daytime temperature being above freezing for a few hours, and there being either full sunlight with no clouds, or heavy rainfall - both of which wear the ice faster than usual.

I'm afraid this is all I can say, reading the weather simulation code. Once Sami has time, he can check your savefile to see if it is more about the actual ice thickness, or more about the safety measures when estimating when the ice is safe to walk on.

And, just for the sake of clarity - did you try to walk on the exact same location / body of water than 3-4 days before? And before it was safe, but now it is no more?
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 02:36:10 AM »
It was safe to walk and ski over ice, now only safe to ski. Mid-Winter month.