Topic: "Safe to walk on ice" trap.  (Read 6784 times)

d2shr6o8av

« on: February 16, 2023, 08:22:39 AM »
I visited one of my trap locations and I found this peculiar catch.
Note how there's a land tile to the left of the reindeer but it still didn't manage to climb out.
IIRC I've seen elk that managed to break the ice on an iced tile, climb on a solid ice tile, and repeat for about 5-10 tiles before drowning.

The trap pits below were baited with a raw meat cut and a turnip and/or a fistful of broad beans, which I'm pretty sure is what attracted the reindeer and the elk that I found in one of the trap pits.
In the future I'll drop a raw meat cut and a turnip on a similar ice tile with tree trunks on it and see if this trap will attract animals. I'll make sure that there isn't any other bait nearby.

Unless you are unable to make trap pits, I think making this kind of trap is not worth the effort. On the other hand if you have made your settlement adjacent to a water tile that is not rapids, making this trap to catch any invading Njerpez might be worth it.
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

d2shr6o8av

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 02:22:03 PM »
I forgot about this thread and I haven't tried to use this kind of trap.
I do have a habit of dropping tree trunks on non-rapid water tiles so that I can just drop a branch on the pile to break the ice, so I might drop bait in these piles on a whim and if I remember to do it.
Would I catch drowned 2-legged predators on these traps if I baited them with an arrow?

I've also "caught" drowned villagers in villages' wells/water_sources that were piled with tree trunks during "safe to walk ice" months.
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 07:17:37 PM »
You might catch 2-legged prey with that, but don’t be surprised if all their metal weapons/tools sink and be gone forever.

d2shr6o8av

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 07:21:14 PM »
You might catch 2-legged prey with that, but don’t be surprised if all their metal weapons/tools sink and be gone forever.

Yep, didn't think of that.
Then I should bait bear/pit traps with arrows.
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

anything