Topic: Hemp cord experiment  (Read 4175 times)

Dynggyldai

« on: January 08, 2023, 11:22:32 PM »
Are hemp cords implemented in UrW yet?
Today I found some dry hemp at the side of the woods so I decided to test how it works in Real World. I made this in like 10-15 minutes and it's surprisingly strong, stronger than some store-bought cords of the same thickness. Definitely enough to hang a kilogram of meat for smoking or drying, I will test with bigger weights later.
While I have done this before with other plants, I'm not an expert and hadn't made wild cords for like 7 years. So a starting character from UnReal World could probably make it too as long as they have enough herblore to identify hemp.

ineedcords

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 11:57:11 PM »
Are hemp cords implemented in UrW yet?
Today I found some dry hemp at the side of the woods so I decided to test how it works in Real World. I made this in like 10-15 minutes and it's surprisingly strong, stronger than some store-bought cords of the same thickness. Definitely enough to hang a kilogram of meat for smoking or drying, I will test with bigger weights later.
While I have done this before with other plants, I'm not an expert and hadn't made wild cords for like 7 years. So a starting character from UnReal World could probably make it too as long as they have enough herblore to identify hemp.
While it is only partially, there is a gameplay question in there so I am happy to classify this thread as so...

In terms of a type of tying equipment that can be produced relatively quickly, in many places, all-year round and can be used to hang meat for preservation, see withes.
Personally you may be aware of withes already but worth mentioning, for others who might see this and are unaware.
Below is a relevant excerpt from the NEWS.TXT file that is distributed with the game and sits in the game main directory.
Code: [Select]
Version: 3.60 (stable)
Released: Oct-28-2019
<snip>
 - added: tree saplings

There are now small saplings of spruce and birch trees appearing on zoomed-in maps. Saplings are not
          obstacles for movement like the bigger trees but you can walk right through them. Saplings can be cut
          down like any trees, and they have use in making of withes.

MIGRATION NOTICE: Saplings can be found only on newly generated maps. If your character has explored
          the world extensively you may want to run map maintenance (key command [7]) which removes unimportant
          previously generated zoomed-in maps.

- added: withe - a new type of tying equipment

Withes are tying and binding equipment made from flexible, slender saplings of spruce or birch trees.   
          Your character can make withes from [M]ake-menu under Tying equipment category.

Finally, there is more information on many usages of hemp in the same file, but to answer your specific question: no, I do not think hemp is a tying equipment in the game, as of today (v.3.72-patch1). (Happy to be corrected soon, if I am missing something).

UPDATE: I stand corrected; please see Sami's response in this thread, below, in Reply #4.

Edit1: Just checked the Tying Equipment menu in the game as of v.3.72-patch1. As per screenshot embedded below, I do not see anything about hemp...

Edit2: Earlier version of this message listed game version as 3.72-patch3, which is a typo. Patch level is 1. I will leave the screenshot as is so please ignore p3.

Edit3: I've been corrected & updated accordingly.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 08:24:15 PM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Dynggyldai

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 10:37:22 AM »
Yeah, withes are very useful, I think I used them to make a raft (in game). Too bad there is no hemp cord, I have made wild cords from yucca and elder bark while hemp seems so much superior (in real life). Next up I'll try nettle (in real life), it's probably trickier due to its stinging spikes. I think I tried making a recipe for hemp cord back in 3.50 (in game) and got stuck because I think when harvesting hemp it doesn't yield fibers. Considering your username, if you know a working recipe for hemp cord that's also somewhat realistic (like you harvest the plant, the plant should be processed into fiber (throughout the year), leaves (only in summer) and seeds (only in late summer when they are ripe) while fiber could be used to braid cord which should be somewhat time-consuming), please don't hold back ;) .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 10:40:48 AM by Dynggyldai »

Tinker

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 02:21:42 PM »
For hemp cords and rope take a look at the BAC mod - in released mods. You could just use the hemp recipes if you do not want all the other stuff.

As for rl nettle, as in the game retting is important as that separates the fibres and removes the stinging part, the water from retting is a good food for tomatoes plants as well.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 07:42:01 PM »
You can make cordage from hemp in UrW. The process is the same as with other fibre plants (nettle and flax).

Just take a look at TEXTILECRAFT entry in game encyclopedia (F1).
You can spin fibres into yarn, yarns into cords, and finally cords into ropes, if you like to.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

ineedcords

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 08:26:49 PM »
You can make cordage from hemp in UrW. The process is the same as with other fibre plants (nettle and flax).

Just take a look at TEXTILECRAFT entry in game encyclopedia (F1).
You can spin fibres into yarn, yarns into cords, and finally cords into ropes, if you like to.

That's great, thank you for the correction - I've updated my message above, accordingly.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

anything