UnReal World > General Discussion

Issues running Unreal World on Ubuntu

<< < (2/3) > >>

LuchyMane:
You're both right, I should have included the code to make what I meant clearer. It was dumb to not include it, sorry about that.

--- Code: ---ldd /usr/bin/urw3-bin
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-version.c: 204: _dl_check_map_versions: Assertion `needed != NULL' failed!

--- End code ---

So as you can see, I got the exact same result-it didn't list anything. I doublechecked with whereis urw3-bin to make sure it was the proper directory and reread Plotinus' post twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, but still nothing.

Regarding updating, I actually did that just before my initial post for unrelated reasons but I just tried again-there were a handful of updates but still nothing.

ineedcords:

--- Quote from: LuchyMane on January 20, 2023, 11:52:12 PM ---...
Regarding updating, I actually did that just before my initial post for unrelated reasons but I just tried again-there were a handful of updates but still nothing.

--- End quote ---
OK thanks for following up.

I checked the binary of the free-but-older-version of the game v.3.63 tonight, and after investigating it, I realized in this particular case, ldd output, at least the default output as we suggested/repeated earlier wouldn't have mattered. Still good advice for most other cases. Your post too demonstrates the fact that, ldd is not spitting out what UrW needs.
While it is possible to make ldd tell us more with extra parameters, probably not needed at this stage.

Instead, please try these below, and when prompted, just press Y and accept the disk cost & let apt auto-install any dependencies, as usual.

EDIT: Actually, I need to clarify that this is written for and tested on Ubuntu latest LTS Desktop 22.04 and UrW 3.63 (free-but-outdated) version and tested only on this version.
If you are however on the latest and greatest version of this game (v.3.72) let us know.

1. Install the SDL2 library components:

--- Code: ---apt install libsdl2-2.0-0 libsdl2-image-2.0-0 libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0 libsdl2-net-2.0-0
--- End code ---

2. Also install this audio dev lib:

--- Code: ---apt install libjack-dev
--- End code ---

Then open the console and type "urw" and let us know the outcome. If this does not work we will need more info from system.

Edit: clarified on what OS/Game versions this suggestion was tested on.

LuchyMane:
I am on 3.63, and it's now running perfectly! Everything in the first command was already installed but the second needed installation.

Thank you very much for your help!

ineedcords:

--- Quote from: LuchyMane on January 21, 2023, 10:48:20 PM ---I am on 3.63, and it's now running perfectly! Everything in the first command was already installed but the second needed installation.

Thank you very much for your help!

--- End quote ---
I am very glad to hear that, and thanks for letting us know. Now, finally enjoy the great game! :)

On another note, as you might noticed, I've modified the thread subject and prefixed it [SOLVED] so that it's clearer to any board browsers.
Accurate information is good for future search results & external search engine hits too.

Edit: Just sharing as a FYI... I took the commands I used for this issue, cleaned up the notes a bit, combined with the general methodology notes & put them all in a rough guide post, as linked below. It might be of use later, for a future version, or even for another software/game.

[GUIDE] Unreal World Outdated Free Version On Modern Ubuntu Linux
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6878.0

LuchyMane:
Whoops, I haven't really used forums since like 2005 and forgot I was the one who had to edit the title. Thanks for any future people in need for making the guide!

Although I gotta ask for more help-everything was fine and I spent a couple hours making a trap fence, fishing and building a house for winter. Lots of fun, but then when I next launched the game my laptop shut down within a minute. I fiddled with the laptop a bit and it worked after a third attempt so I just kinda forgot about it. Now it's happening again: every time I launch Unreal World, the entire laptop dies within 20 and 60 seconds of opening Unreal World no matter what I do.

I tried searching for this issue but got no hits, and did some experimenting. It shut down in the same way with no noticeable pattern to how long it took whether I waited on the menu, I jumped into the game or tried creating a character. I launched with the terminal and waited for the crash but absolutely no unusual messages popped up before the crash. Ran Dwarf Fortress and cheated myself to a full fortress of dwarves to see if that would do anything, and it ran fine while I did RL chores.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version