Topic: Can you cover your eyes with Armor?  (Read 4243 times)

Kyo

« on: June 02, 2022, 04:25:08 PM »
Can you cover your eyes with armor to protect them?
If so, how? What armor piece do I need?

Bert Preast

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 06:48:26 PM »
No, there is no armour to cover eyes.  And if there were, I reckon that the extra protection would not be compensated by being unable to see anything!

An iron spectacle helm is the best armour you can get as headwear, it partially covers the face.  But not the eyes.  Because that would be silly.

Kyo

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 06:52:05 PM »
No, there is no armour to cover eyes.  And if there were, I reckon that the extra protection would not be compensated by being unable to see anything!

An iron spectacle helm is the best armour you can get as headwear, it partially covers the face.  But not the eyes.  Because that would be silly.
I thought there was, i remember once seeing a picture of armor coverage and the eyes were GREEN

Bert Preast

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 06:56:47 PM »
Link to the wiki page showing what bits are covered by armour and clothing types:

https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Clothing

The face is the hardest part to armour, I'm not sure if I have ever managed to get it to green. 

EDIT:  It seems the iron spectacle helm makes face go happy shade of green  :)

Eyes still have no colour, though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 09:19:07 PM by Bert Preast »

Galgana

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 11:41:49 PM »
According to the modding syntax, eyes are not a bodypart that can be covered under the parameter [ARMOUR_COVERAGE:]. Therefore, it is currently impossible to create an armor piece capable of protecting the eyes.

For maximum coverage of the other head parts, you can layer:
  • fur hood and iron spectacle helm to protect face and skull
  • mail cowl and woollen veil to protect skull and neck
The total weight of this gear is around 8 lbs.

I consider the long mail cowl to be unnecessary for most purposes. While yes, it provides additional coverage to the shoulders* compared to the standard mail cowl, but the drawback is that it's also 2 lbs heavier.
This can make a difference when you're layering other clothes, since worn equipment begins to contribute to the encumbrance penalty when the total weight goes over 10% of your character's bodyweight.

*Most armor and clothing tops for the torso will also extend to or past the shoulders (excluding the cuirass, which provides only thorax plus abdomen protection).