UnReal World > Gameplay questions

Hunting Bears

(1/3) > >>

GrimmSpector:
Heard they winter in caves, have put Bear traps across every cave entrance I can find, almost back to Spring now, no dice. What's a good way to track one down?

Privateer:

--- Quote from: GrimmSpector on April 09, 2022, 01:11:44 AM ---Heard they winter in caves

--- End quote ---

Never heard that, but usually seeing in the distance, or stumbling across tracks.

ineedcords:

--- Quote from: GrimmSpector on April 09, 2022, 01:11:44 AM ---Heard they winter in caves, have put Bear traps across every cave entrance I can find, almost back to Spring now, no dice.<snip>

--- End quote ---
Where did you hear that?

What I know is there is a 2.5 year old NEWS entry, listed in game top level directory, inside the news.txt file, as follows:

--- Quote ---Version: 3.60 (beta)
Released: 15-Sep-2019

fixed: bears active and awake in the winter.
Now they hibernate during the winter as they should.
--- End quote ---
As you can see, it mentions the hibernation but not the location or the detail of hibernation mechanic.

This is speculation but I am guessing hibernation in this game's context probably just means animals are removed from the game world.
In other words, it probably does not mean bears going into caves to hibernate there and eventually walk out at the end of hibernation period.
With this suspected background, what you did is logical in the real world (i.e.: what goes into cave will eventually walk out of cave thus a trap outside it makes sense); in the game world though, probably bears magically spawn on tiles rather than walk out of caves so traps in front of caves have no particularly high chance of trapping one.

--- Quote from: GrimmSpector on April 09, 2022, 01:11:44 AM ---<snip>What's a good way to track one down?

--- End quote ---
Bears are everywhere. Just cover more ground, you will eventually find one. If you go north, east, or northeast you will probably have higher chances of spotting one but you do not have to go any particular part of map to spot one.

Won't help with your current game but a tip for later: when you are starting a new character, increasing eyesight would help spot more.
More info on eyesight physical stat is on the wiki, here: https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Eyesight

GrimmSpector:

--- Quote from: ineedcords on April 09, 2022, 02:21:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: GrimmSpector on April 09, 2022, 01:11:44 AM ---Heard they winter in caves, have put Bear traps across every cave entrance I can find, almost back to Spring now, no dice.<snip>

--- End quote ---
Where did you hear that?

What I know is there is a 2.5 year old NEWS entry, listed in game top level directory, inside the news.txt file, as follows:

--- Quote ---Version: 3.60 (beta)
Released: 15-Sep-2019

fixed: bears active and awake in the winter.
Now they hibernate during the winter as they should.
--- End quote ---
As you can see, it mentions the hibernation but not the location or the detail of hibernation mechanic.

This is speculation but I am guessing hibernation in this game's context probably just means animals are removed from the game world.
In other words, it probably does not mean bears going into caves to hibernate there and eventually walk out at the end of hibernation period.
With this suspected background, what you did is logical in the real world (i.e.: what goes into cave will eventually walk out of cave thus a trap outside it makes sense); in the game world though, probably bears magically spawn on tiles rather than walk out of caves so traps in front of caves have no particularly high chance of trapping one.

--- Quote from: GrimmSpector on April 09, 2022, 01:11:44 AM ---<snip>What's a good way to track one down?

--- End quote ---
Bears are everywhere. Just cover more ground, you will eventually find one. If you go north, east, or northeast you will probably have higher chances of spotting one but you do not have to go any particular part of map to spot one.

Won't help with your current game but a tip for later: when you are starting a new character, increasing eyesight would help spot more.
More info on eyesight physical stat is on the wiki, here: https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Eyesight

--- End quote ---

Winter bear fur that people have gotten suggests they're not removed from the game world, I recall somewhere even seeing that it was the warmest fur value you can get.

What's the point of caves then?

Privateer:

--- Quote from: GrimmSpector on April 10, 2022, 12:52:24 AM ---What's the point of caves then?

--- End quote ---

There can be animals in caves, I've seen lynx before. They make great homes, and very, very rarely there could be treasure stashed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version